Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please, help me upgrade my PC!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboyswe

dannyboyswe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hi!

I am in need of some advice regarding if I should upgrade my current PC or not.

Keep in mind, I am quite lost when it comes to the inside of a computer, so bear with me.
After doing some research yesterday, I came across words like ”bottleneck” in regards to having a too powerful GPU in a computer combined with a ”too weak” CPU (did I get that right?).
And until yesterday, I have always thought that it was impossible to use a Nvidia GPU together with a AMD CPU...
This is just to explain and build a picture of how little I really know about the inside of a computer.

My setup atm let's me run newer games (like Mafia 3) with passable graphics settings and okay FPS.
But if possible, I would like to upgrade my GPU, and if needed, the RAM, without having to upgrade my CPU.

This is my current setup:

CPU: AMD FX-6100, which to my knowledge is not overclocked, and has a Cooler Master as CPU cooler.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX (with 8GB RAM installed, and I believe 16GB is max), https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/overview/

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850, http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/all-previous-gpus/amd-rad
eon-hd-7850-core-edition-fx-785a-cnl4

I am looking at buying maybe a ASUS Radeon RX 480 Dual OC 4GB.
Would that be overkill?
Will my CPU create a bottleneck situation?

I am not looking to run every newer game at the highest possible graphics settings, but it would be nice to make my setup more powerful, and to be able to make games a little prettier and smoother.

Any recommendations or tips are welcome!!!
What would you do, or buy, if you had my setup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Power supply?

RX 470 is good choice for GPU.

8 GB RAM is enough.

#3 dannyboyswe

dannyboyswe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Power supply?

RX 470 is good choice for GPU.

8 GB RAM is enough.

Hi!

If I have understood it correctly, my power supply outputs 500W.
Would that be good or bad?

Here's a pic of the power supply: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg42/filmframsidor/66CBC055-19E0-4490-AAC0-85CC7BC490E9_zpssfwmaknh.jpg

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Should be enough for RX 470. Luckily FSP power supplies rarely break anything so I would use that.

#5 dannyboyswe

dannyboyswe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Should be enough for RX 470. Luckily FSP power supplies rarely break anything so I would use that.

Will I need to overclock my FX6100, or should that not be a problem?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Overclocking is not necessity, but small overclock should be OK with that PSU.

#7 dannyboyswe

dannyboyswe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

Anyone mind givning a second opinion on this? :)

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Don't know about that psu,looks very budget but whatever if the computer has problem after adding a video card to the mix you will know what the problem is and it will be the psu.

And yes 8 gigs is fine, as for your cpu i don't know about the OC topic seeing as i don't know what your heat sink is or your max load temps are at the moment as well its a 95TDP cpu so its a big one when it comes to heat,as well saying its a cooler master heat sink it like saying i have a car and its red.

You cpu seems decent for this day and age, sadly don't know much about newer video cards, researching the topic is on my to do list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users