Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Certain Things On Webpages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

:thumbsup: [font=Verdana]Can you assist me anyone?

Here's my problemo.

I cannot access "login" on Register.com I can "hit" on login and NOTHING happens...or, my comupter pulls up a "thinking about it.." type of white blank page and it just sits there and eventually dies out.

Register.com said it is NOT their problem, but mine and to check w/ my Provider. (I use Internet Explorer, new Dell PC, McAfee security center,etc.) I did clear out cookies,etc.

I also use other sites and on one, can't do certain things on their site yet can do other things...yet, I used to be able to do EVERYTHING...they couldn't figure it out.

Now, I checked w/ my provider (he didn't seem brilliant) and they can't figure it out.

Can anyone here tell me what they think seems to be the problem. It is just recent...I usually could access all this stuff. You think it is my Provider and I need to get tough w/ them? I really need to access my domaine site that I pay for!! :flowers: :trumpet:

I don't think I have any spyware,etc. I did all the scans and don't go to icky sites, either. Computer is pretty new (June 2006).

Any and all help appreciated! (OH--the Provider wanted me to shut down my firewall(s) and then he wanted to do stuff (seemed like he had no real plan)...but I am leary of just shutting down my internet security yet being online as he wanted...am I correct?)

Newbie to this great forum,

Me. :inlove:
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

but I am leary of just shutting down my internet security yet being online as he wanted...am I correct?)

Absolutely , it could take only minutes for you to become infected if you're browsing the net without a firewall. What you could have done is shut down McAfee security center and used the windows firewall short term .

As it's just a recent problem you could try a system restore to a date before your problems started.

#3 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thanks.

Well, with System Restore...I did go there and it said I can only choose a BOLD date....and that date was only one day back..so I went there...but I rather go back a month or two! There is an area that says to go back (or forward) but it won't go back a month. Not sure why. So, I can't restore really. *shrugs*

Does it sound like my Provider's problem to you?

Register.com told me to tell them (ha) to "empty my files"---I don't know what that means. Do they keep a cach on me they can empty?

Thanks guys!

#4 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Register.com told me to tell them (ha) to "empty my files

Suppose there's no harm in clearing out your temp files and trying again. Just in case you don't know how..... open Internet Explore and on the toolbar click on tools > Internet options > general tab > click delete files and when the box appears tick "delete all offline content" > OK. You could also delete the cookies at the same time by clicking the cookies tab.
While your there click on the security tab and click on the Internet icon. Under the heading "security level for this zone" it should be set at default. If the default tab is greyed out then it's ok , but if not click on default level and then Apply. Do the same for the other three icons.
I doubt this will make any difference but PCs can play the strangest tricks sometimes.

Does it sound like my Provider's problem to you?

To be honest it could be anything and finding a solution could be a case of pot luck.

Do you have a link for the other site ?

Final thought for now is , you could download Mozilla Frefox as an alternative browser. If these sites work with Firefox then the problem is with IE.

#5 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

[font=Verdana]I am THRILLED that I discovered this site/forum! I found the Tutorial (43?) and did all the recommends for SECURITY...ie: download/use Spyware Blaster and a free online one (I used the first one above Panda) and Spybot and Cleanup, etc. BESIDES my McAfee Security Center. Took all day it seems to have done that...the free online scan found stuff after 45min about and then after deleting them, it wanted to re-scan my computer..did that, 45min later, it came out clean....ran all this stuff and everything I have.

I couldn't believe it...I went to Register.com to see if I could access "LOGIN" button (before, it was as if the computer didn't pick it up as if it were a clickable item...I couldn't access it). It actually "thought" (my computer did)...and I was excited...it never did that in a while...and BINGO! It brought me up to my LOGIN page. YIPEE!!!

All this thanks to BLEEPING COMPUTER DOT COM!!!! AND MR ABRAMS (I LOVE YOU). *MWAH*

OKAY... I think I may be fixed, immunized, protected and all that :-P....and I am looking forward to reading this site often!!! So glad I came across it!!

#6 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

:thumbsup: So mad...everything was good when I took bleeping computer's advice and downloaded spybot...and from their link....well, all it does is slow down my computer (my computer makes a noise like it is processing all the time)..and it crashed it constantly...constantly!

I dis-installed it, yet the icon was on desktop, then I deleted that...and spybot still showed up (after a restart after disinstalling from control)...in my tray !!! grrr.

Any advice? Anyone else have spybot problems?? Or, should I re-try?

#7 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:03 AM

:inlove: Okay...although my computer kept crashing and was slower than molasses :thumbsup: I finally got the old Spybot (from a different site) removed and re-installed from a different site 1.4 version, too. Now, everything seems to be working Fast!! So, I think I got it all going okay. I just had it replace the old version's folders,etc.

One thing:

Anyone else have this problem?? It comes up w/ a box asking a question (IE: spybot found an important change to registry then a box on the left is garbled up and a ? is next and INFO is next to that and the right box is garbled up!!! I can't read what it says.

WHAT do they say so I know how to reply??

THANKS!!!!!! :flowers:

Newbie but coming along great thanks to this wonderful BLEEPING COMPUTER crowd!!! :trumpet:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

This has been answered in the thread you started here:
Spybot S&d Question Box--what Does It Say?, Spybot S&D Question Box Garbled...what does it say?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users