Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic stutters in games

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bsodman

bsodman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi, I'm having little problem with my graphics that isn't urgent, but is sometimes annoying and inconvenient. Device specifications are below.

I bought my laptop about 1.5 year ago. For the first week or two I had problems with BSODs, some random and some related to my graphic card. Problems were progressively disappearing with time and I don't really know why. Problem with graphics diminished after reinstalling software and drivers for graphic card. I also did basic research for solution and explanation of other BSODs. What I remember, it had something to do with OS sleeping mode enabled, but it didn't solve my problem. I just learned to live with it and after a few months all more serious problems were completely gone.

The problem I'm having remained though. There is a basic pattern describing it. When I play the game I will have either no stutters at all or stutters will appear every few minutes or seconds. It's interesting that each time I start a game the time interval between stutters seems to be constant for that particular run. It usually doesn't change when I restart the game, but changes when I restart laptop. The stutters themselves last for about 1-3 seconds. During that short time my fps count goes down to 20 and below, depending on my initial max fps. Weird thing is severity of stutters varies most between days, so when they appear I usually give up playing that day. One day there may be no stutters, other day games may be nearly unplayable with stutters every 5 seconds (such days are very rare though).

Important thing is sometimes in some games other people see me lagging while my game is stuttering and fps is going down (e.g. CS GO), while in other games the connection stability warning appears (e.g. Rocket League).

Now it may be relevant to say that my wifi card doesn't seem to work well. I am used to having problems with connecting to networks. Sometimes my laptop doesn't see any networks at all. Upgrading to Windows 10 seemed to help there a little. Wifi card was the first thing I blamed for all problems, but I didn't verify it in any way.

Another important fact is my laptop came with Windows 8.1 and upgrading it to Windows 10 didn't make any difference. That's why I'm assuming it's hardware related problem. While being on Windows 10 I visited support page for my model and reinstalled all available drivers. Updating UEFI helped the most, as the time interval between stutters increased greatly.

Today I decided to put up quite a fight with my device and diagnose all problems. I will be grateful for every advice. Buying new hardware is the last thing I will consider and I would prefer not to. Please advice me on what to do first to narrow possibilities. I am ready to use heavy weapons.

SPECS

Report from Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7aoIZdzbs1qXsa2Ichh7trz (no heavy applications were opened).

Model: laptop - ASUS ROG G771JW-T7051H (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G771JW/ - all drivers I used are there in 'Support > Drivers & Tools > Windows 10 64bit')

System: upgraded to Windows 10 from pre-installed Windows 8.1.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m

RAM: 16GB

Drives: one SSD with Windows 10, one HDD with Ubuntu 16.04.

Network adapter: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (from Device Manager)

Few days ago I experienced BSOD loop after installing drivers for Xbox One Wireless Controller and asked for help here on this forum https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636533/constant-bsod-related-to-xbox-one-controller/. This problem is solved by now.

Attached Files

Edited by bsodman, 08 January 2017 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hemmmmm , mind trying this.

Download this.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Run it and click on the top right "the little boxs", it should open up a menu, next go to the cpu tab and click on the option show one graph for each cpu core , just let it run for a wile and look for cpu use spikes,as well go to the top left and click on "view/select columns/process performance/cpu history", same deal look for cpu use spikes.

if you find any track down whats doing it, if none happen then keep it running but minimize it and lunch the game you like playing that has fps spikes, min you get a good spike minimize game "ALT+TAB keys" and check your cpu use stats to see if you have any odd cpu use spike and whats doing what on that topic.

Post some screen shots or info when you know more and we can keep going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users