Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 vs 7 for graphic design?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

I am buying a new laptop and considering if I should get one with windows 7 or windows 10. The most trying function I will be using the laptop for is running adobe photoshop and lightroom (they are mostly memory intense programs).

Does windows 10 have any advantage with these? Or is windows 7 a faster smoother option?

I've read a few articles on the subject but many seem biased, all disagree with each other and I've heard windows 10 has improved a lot in the last year due to updates so wanted to ask for a more personal and recent opinion from some of the lovely smart people on here :)

Laptops I am looking at are around 2.5ghz i5, 4gb with built in intel graphics cards.

Edited by noz03, 08 January 2017 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

I would suggest going with Windows 10.  Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft after 1/14/2020, that's only three years away.

I have had Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10 installed on my computers.  I really liked Windows 7, it was the best operating system Microsoft had come out with at that time, in my opinion.  Windows 8/8.1 was problematic from the beginning and never quite got corrected.  I'm now using Windows 10 and like it a great deal.  In each new operating system that Microsoft has created there have been significant improvements making each one better and safer than their previous version. 

Windows 10 would be my suggestion.  It may take you a while to become familiar with the operating system, but I believe you will like it once you do become familiar with it.

There will be others that will feel the same as I do, but then there will be those that just don't like it and will bash it.  The point is that you need to remember that you asking for opinions from members who respond to this topic.  If you want a some what unbiased opinion I would suggest reading reviews from websites like PC Magazine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

I would suggest going with Windows 10.  Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft after 1/14/2020, that's only three years away.

I have had Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10 installed on my computers.  I really liked Windows 7, it was the best operating system Microsoft had come out with at that time, in my opinion.  Windows 8/8.1 was problematic from the beginning and never quite got corrected.  I'm now using Windows 10 and like it a great deal.  In each new operating system that Microsoft has created there have been significant improvements making each one better and safer than their previous version. 

Windows 10 would be my suggestion.  It may take you a while to become familiar with the operating system, but I believe you will like it once you do become familiar with it.

There will be others that will feel the same as I do, but then there will be those that just don't like it and will bash it.  The point is that you need to remember that you asking for opinions from members who respond to this topic.  If you want a some what unbiased opinion I would suggest reading reviews from websites like PC Magazine.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too worried about getting used to it, and for me 2020 is miles away, I will likely have changed the laptop by then, or maybe upgrading to windows 11 :) but I'm more worried about about stability and speed. Being newer and having newer technology in it can both slow an OS down or speed it up. Especially when it comes to memory, and no one seems to agree on if it is faster or slower than 7.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Personally, I find Windows 10 to be faster than Windows 7.  Especially startup and shut down.  This is because Windows 10 has the fast startup application which is similar to sleep mode where the operating system is actually still active.  I run a very lean machine with 8GB of RAM and a SSD for the operating system. This is a custom build which doesn't have any bloatware which does slow a computer down.  Once again, you are most likely only going to get personal opinions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users