Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Best AV To Compliment MB 3.0, and...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billgateskickedmydog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Just got a new, more powerful laptop and am looking for really good security.

I've got Malwarebytes 3.0 premium and am looking for the best anti-virus (free and/or paid, hopefully someone can list the best from both categories) to compliment it.

In addition, if needed, I am wondering what other programs I should be using. I currently have adware cleaner from this website along with spybot. From what I've read on here briefly it seems that for firewalls windows firewall is sufficient.

Edited by billgateskickedmydog, 08 January 2017 - 04:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

According to Malwarebytes, their Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium makes Antivirus obsolete. This would mean that you don't need a seperate Antivirus software.

Whether this statement is 100% correct, I don't know.

But if you are looking for an Antivirus software to supplement your MBAM 3.0 Premium, then I recommend ESET NOD32.

For a free AV software, I recommend Windows Defender if you use Windows 8 or higher. Windows Vista & 7 users can use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows Firewall is good enough if you use Windows 7 or higher.

For Vista & XP, the Windows Firewall is weak.

Edited by DefaultGateway, 08 January 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,745 posts
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

Although Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium claims it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files...it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches) and does not handle legacy malware. The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is an explanation by David H. Lipman, a Malware Researcher/Analyst.

...there are services in an Anti Virus that are not fulfilled by MBAM.

• It does not target scripted malware
  • It does not target document files
  • It does not target media files
  • It is still incapable of of removing malicious code that had been prepended, appended or cavity injected into legitimate files such as by a file infecting virus or by a trojan that trojanizes legitimate files ( aka; patches ).
  • It is not MAPI and/or VIM compliant nor does it offer a POP/IMAP Proxy Service.
  • It does not handle legacy malware because Malwarebytes personnel culls it database periodically and only tragets what they call Zero Day malware. Malware that is fresh and new Today and not something that was more prevalent a year or two ago.
Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium is better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.

If you don't mind paying, I would recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
See my comments in that topic and Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend ESET and, Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midimusicman79

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi all!

There is also SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol FREE / PLUS, both of which have free as well as paid versions, i.e. the latter with extra functionality (AutoUpdate).

In addition there is µBlock Origin, Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere and Secunia PSI, all of these are free.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

I very much recommend ESET if you have the funds to get a paid anti-virus. As I've stated in previous comments. Malwarebytes 3.0 just isn't there yet as an Antivirus solutions. I feel like they should have stayed with what they were well known for and great at. Which was an anti-malware service. Their focus has shifted into an antivirus company and in my opinion the software has suffered. (Due to personal testing MBAM 3.0 as an antivirus does not do nearly as well as other antiviruses.. I believe there are even youtube videos demonstrating this as well.)

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users