Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft.Photos.Exe Privacy Concern

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:40 AM

eb30216f04985c7b5b61b4f70e3b49fb.png

This is the prompt I was given by AVG today when I started my computer.

I find it slightly concerning that Microsoft was attempting to use an unsigned program called Microsoft.Photos.Exe, to send data to its HQ in Sao Paulo, Brazil (Remote Address). As for now, I've chosen to completely block the program from making connections, but it leaves me wondering what its real purpose is.

Does anyone know anything about it? Google isn't helping much here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:56 AM

Others also have this issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/what-is-microsoftphotosexe-file-panda-virus/1e3660d6-7e76-4f81-b588-b3c6e29c4fc6

#3 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

Yes, I saw that. Windows support wasn't willing, and/or wasn't able to release information on the program's purpose. The labled:most helpful post in the thread also said:

The "problem" I am facing is that my Norton Firewall keeps notifying me that this software has no digital signature and keeps trying to access the Internet.

The "problem" I am facing is that Microsoft does things like this without informing customers what is going on.

The "problem" I am facing is that the Microsoft support technicians who answer questions here are obviously employees of outsourced call centers who don't have sufficient training or know-how to help customers. I sympathize with these people because they are trying to do a job they are not qualified to do. "Real" help is provided by members of the community who have expertise in the products. It must be depressing for the support technicians who reply in the name of Microsoft. If Microsoft would hire them and give them sufficient training, they would be able to do a better job. But that would cost too much money, Microsoft, right?

Not to defend Microsoft, but it is not the only company with this problem.

#4 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

I was wondering about this too. I'm using Norton Security, and its firewall notified me of an outgoing connection from Photos a while ago. I just blocked it and never gave it any more thought. I don't think mine came up with a weird location like Sao Paolo though... Worth blocking it, at least for now methinks.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Another reason I refuse to install Windows 10.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

+1 :thumbup2:

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

I too haven't installed Win 10 but I have had occasion to look at this 'app' as an image viewer and I cannot publish my opinion on a family friendly site like BC !

I have to ask why does anybody use feeble ineffective apps like this for viewing images when there are things like Irfanview free for the effort of downloading and installing them ?  I have never been a fan of MS's installed image viewers in any version of Windows but this one sets a new mark for uselessness. Yes, any telemetry is for product development and review - or so we are told - but it would take an incredible amount of telemetry to improve this dog of an app.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Chris, If you think the image app is feeble then take a look at the app that takes the place of the excellent Windows Media Center in Windows 7. And it costs $15.  :hysterical:

Windows-DVD-Player-App-1024x800.jpg

And then you have Windows Media Center that is free on Windows 7 and plays DVDs perfectly.

windows-7-media-center-internet-tv-guide

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

What? You mean you don't want pay a subscription for Freecell? Get out of here!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

[Regarding the Win10 the Photos App:]  . . . it would take an incredible amount of telemetry to improve this dog of an app.

Chris Cosgrove

And, on this specific point, I could not possibly agree more.  I have never seen anything quite so useless as it is with regard to just viewing images, let alone trying to do anything rational with organizing them in folders.

I prefer FastStone Image Viewer, which is actually a sophisticated image viewing and editing suite with an incredibly good download manager, to Irfanview, but both are light years ahead of the Photos App and both are available at no cost (though a donation method is available to the developer of either, and both are worth something if you have the means and go beyond just testing them out).

Edited by britechguy, 09 January 2017 - 10:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

@JohnC #8

I don't even use WMP in win 7, I just automatically install VLC !

@Britechguy #10

I have been a fan and fairly intensive user of Irfan view for a number of years but I have heard others speak well of the FastOne app. I must have a look at it sometime.

But, to get back on topic, virtually all apps on all OS 'phone home'. Whether you believe it or not MS at least make the claim that their telemetry is for product development  only. Then take a look at the information collected by many apps in the Apple and Android appstores and see the information they require access to as a condition of installing them.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

@Britechguy #10

But, to get back on topic, virtually all apps on all OS 'phone home'. Whether you believe it or not MS at least make the claim that their telemetry is for product development  only. Then take a look at the information collected by many apps in the Apple and Android appstores and see the information they require access to as a condition of installing them.

Chris Cosgrove

Correct about apps and, if you dig deep, OSes themselves.  Anyone who thinks that telemetry isn't ubiquitous hasn't done their homework.

I am also not naive about what many free apps do as far as actually collecting data, and I can't speak to Apple's at all, but I have to say that I hate how Android handles their permissions.  They are really not reflective about what's actually being accessed for what purposes - and that's in "both directions."  A lot of their permissions make it seem like half your phone is actually being accessed when the developer needs one small thing that's a part of one of their categories, and some report on this in the app store, while other times a category seems "relatively limited" until you dig in to the breadth of what it actually covers.  It's almost worse than having nothing at all because it's just so difficult to gauge accurately.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users