Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CSGO random restarts, now random BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RodeoMan

RodeoMan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hello all, 

Little back story to this. Month back one of my RAM sticks died. I purchased another online to replace the 4gb stick that died. They are all the same brand and make. Since then my computer will randomly restart when playing CSGO causing a Kernel Error event id 41 in event viewer. I've been scouring the internet non-stop trying to self solve this. Now finally today I have received two actual blue screens while just browsing instead of while playing. I believe this has something to do with me replacing the RAM stick or from what I have read my PSU may be finally failing. I really would like to know if one of these are it before I just go out and waste $80+ on new RAM or a PSU just to find out that isn't it. I've ran Memtest for 6 hours all passes went through no errors. I have attached the required files below. Any help is greatly appreciated. This has been driving me insane daily for the past month. I was not able to get PERFMON to run. 

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Windows 7
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail
· Age of system (hardware) 3-4 Years. Different upgrades along the way (Mobo, gpu, etc.)
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Just did a fresh OS install a week ago

· CPU - i7 4790k
· Video Card - EVGA GTX 970
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - MSI z97 Gaming 5
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) 750w corsair

· System Manufacturer
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)

· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Attached Files

Edited by RodeoMan, 07 January 2017 - 10:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

Heat sink what ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

#3 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Heat sink what ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo, thought it was that but I actually wiped all thermal paste off, bought a new tube, reset/applied new paste and temps stayed the same and haven't changed anything. I notice in my bios that tRC timings and a few other numbers are different between my 3 old sticks and my new one. The timings that are different are ones that the BIOS will not let me manually change. I noticed on one BSOD description that mismatched RAM can cause this and my problem has been happening since replacing my bad RAM. I ran Prime 95 last night for 3+ hours 49 tests were completed on all with no issues so I don't believe it's a heat issue.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

DId some research on the topic and it would have bin nice if you listed full load temps but from what i can tell you should be good with that heat sink on your cpu and not hit the 70c limit for your core, that is if your not overclocking.

Memory bugs me more. mind doing this ? need to see what your full hardware/software setup is, and i find it hard to believe
you can't change your memory settings on a MSI z97 Gaming 5 mobo.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Edit: Just looked at your mobo manual and the settings are their for memory.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-manual

Edited by shadow_647, 08 January 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#5 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

DId some research on the topic and it would have bin nice if you listed full load temps but from what i can tell you should be good with that heat sink on your cpu and not hit the 70c limit for your core, that is if your not overclocking.

Memory bugs me more. mind doing this ? need to see what your full hardware/software setup is, and i find it hard to believe
you can't change your memory settings on a MSI z97 Gaming 5 mobo.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Edit: Just looked at your mobo manual and the settings are their for memory.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-manual

Here is my speccy snapshot. Now I am even more confused than before. Just went out and bought new RAM to see if that would fix it but now my computer just restarted AGAIN while playing CSGO on the map that usually causes the restarts. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5DZWwPEYkWeVsaxutjkm6In

edit: Is there any sort of DMP files I could post when these restarts/BSODs occur?

These restart returned Bugcheckcode: 0 in the event viewer by the way.

Edited by RodeoMan, 08 January 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Is there any sort of DMP files I could post when these restarts/BSODs occur?

Sadly im not the guy for that.

I don't look at crash log files for the most part remostly, im mostly use to working on a pc when its under my noise, that and downloading random zip files from a forum that anyone can upload scairs me so i haven't even looked at your logs,ill let the other guy that camps this part of the forum do that part, its 50x better at that topic then me in any case.

the other guy that good on that that will pass by at some point and will no dout look at your log files and recommend some things that may fix the problem or not , my self im just a old middle age pc vet/overclocker/pc repair tech/power user etc, im use to putting a pc past a pile of tests  when it comes to finding computer problems, so im just going down the list one topic as a time to help out the new people on the topic in this forum.

My self at this point id probably slow the system down in the bios then do more tests to see if the Os still bombs, im guessing your not pro at bios settings ?

#7 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Is there any sort of DMP files I could post when these restarts/BSODs occur?

Sadly im not the guy for that.

I don't look at crash log files for the most part remostly, im mostly use to working on a pc when its under my noise, that and downloading random zip files from a forum that anyone can upload scairs me so i haven't even looked at your logs,ill let the other guy that camps this part of the forum do that part, its 50x better at that topic then me in any case.

the other guy that good on that that will pass by at some point and will no dout look at your log files and recommend some things that may fix the problem or not , my self im just a old middle age pc vet/overclocker/pc repair tech/power user etc, im use to putting a pc past a pile of tests  when it comes to finding computer problems, so im just going down the list one topic as a time to help out the new people on the topic in this forum.

My self at this point id probably slow the system down in the bios then do more tests to see if the Os still bombs, im guessing your not pro at bios settings ?

I appreciate the help either way! I have actually found a program called WhoCrashed to run and analyze the files for me and it has come back with these results. 

7297fa4e01294827477562f5948914de.png

be1fef92e118dae36abf97e2a3aaa431.png

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Lol interesting, funny its saying software not hardware yet the crashes are all the same, and my self when its all over the place and i see that kind of thing i just consider the problem is that the computer is unstable.

Wana do the bios safe mode trick and see what happens ? if your not good with your bios i can do the work for you and recommend the settings to change.

only safe settings will be changed and the trick here its to underclock the system and see what happens.

#9 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Lol interesting, funny its saying software not hardware yet the crashes are all the same, and my self when its all over the place and i see that kind of thing i just consider the problem is that the computer is unstable.

Wana do the bios safe mode trick and see what happens ? if your not good with your bios i can do the work for you and recommend the settings to change.

only safe settings will be changed and the trick here its to underclock the system and see what happens.

What will the safe mode trick end up accomplishing? I'm all for trying anything to get this fixed I just don't think I'm understanding fully what it will do! And if you could help with changing the settings I would appreciate that. Will this help to weed out any ideas that it could be hardware related?

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

Yes its a 100% hardware diagnostic trick i often use mostly for dealing with unstable computers, its like overclocking only the starting point is like 50% of rated speed were as most overclocking you start a default speed and start pushing till the computer becomes unstable.

In this case i consider the hardware and the computer to be unstable so i don't push on the hardware to make it faster "overclock" i slow the system down "underclock" to make it more stable.

If this changes something then it was hardware problem, if it doesn't then it was software problem.

in this case if the computer is unstable at stock speed i drop the speed on all hardware levels or put things in to slow/safe mode, then i do my stress testing or just use the computer, if running the computer in this mode fix's the problem and windows doesn't bomb anymore then i know what to do next and i know what the problem is from that point on with the hardware.

though to 100% narrow it down more tweaking and testing will be needed.

Still cool to go down this road ? just asking cus to do it seeing as you don't know how to work your bios that means i have to do your home work for you and that means a lot of time and research on my side to do it so as to make shore i don't make a mistake.

As well the new grafix and bling bling eye candy bios menus don't do much for me, in many ways i find them distracting from the old stile of keyboard only 16 colors GUIs

Edit: typo fix

Edited by shadow_647, 08 January 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

So we a go for advanced hardware testing ?

#12 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

So we a go for advanced hardware testing ?

Had to step away and sleep on it last night. Ended up trying to fix my USB 3.0 driver and made it so my PC wouldn't recognize anything plugged in. Currently running DBAN and doing a fresh install again. Tried calling a local repair shop and explained everything I have tried and he said there's no use in me bringing it in since I've done every test they would have. He recommended I try a different PSU so that is what I'm going to do. If that does not finally fix this then I would be grateful for you to help me proceed with your testing. 

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Not a problem, ill turn you in to a bios tweaker king and overclocker pro just give me a chance !

Ps one trick when doing a full win rebuild after having problems, start testing the system for problems with a min install of everything , only install what you need for testing and get the anti-virus up and running as a first move and full scan of all hdds.

What ya say your favorite anti-virus was ?

Edit: typo fix

Edited by shadow_647, 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#14 RodeoMan

RodeoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Not a problem, ill turn you in to a bios tweaked king and overclocker pro just give me a chance !

Ps one trick when doing a full win rebuild after having problems, start testing the system for problems with a min install of everything , only install what you need for testing and get the anti-virus up and running as a first move and full scan of all hdds.

What ya say your favorite anti-virus was ?

Sounds good I will do just that. For me I always have stuck to malwarebytes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users