Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 to a new disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McDan

McDan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hi All. I have a win8.1 pc with a second disk which I would like to use for win10. I have the disk setup and loaded with win10 files. My question is: If I run setup from my 8.1 screen, will I be upgrading my 8.1 and not installing win10 on the new disk? If that is the case, how can I install win10 on the new disk without removing my existing win8.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

This is how I would do it. 

Disconnect your Windows 8.1 drive. Install Windows 10 to the second disk.

Connect your Windows 8.1 drive and boot. Download EasyBCD and add an entry for Windows 10 to the BCD.

Do not install Windows 10 with your WIndows 8 drive connected. Even if you specifically tell Windows 10 to install on the secondary drive it could alter partitions on your Windows 8 disk.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/3739-win-10-installed-separate-hard-drive-changes-win-7-a.html

#3 McDan

McDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks JohnC. I will try that.

#4 McDan

McDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Here's what I ended up doing. I cloned the 2nd disk with win8.1 and made sure it was working properly. Then I shut down and disconnected disk 2 and booted disk 1 (original win 8.1) and inserted the usb stick with windows media creation tool installed. From file manager I clicked on "setup" in the media tool which started the win10 upgrade. Overall it took about 90 minutes to complete. So I now have win10 on disk 1 and win 8.1 on disk 2. Just fyi.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the update. So the computer defaults to booting Windows 10 vs 8 unless you change the Boot Order in your UEFI settings, correct? 

#6 McDan

McDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

It's booting to win10 now because I have the 2nd disk disconnected. From another post, it seems that having both disks connected will cause the win8.1 to become corrupted. I'm not ready to try that yet.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

I don't think that will happen now that Windows 10 is installed. If you are worried about it you could detach the Windows 10 disk then boot Windows 8.1. Once that is done you can do a complete disk image to a USB external drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. Create the bootable media under Other Tasks. If your Windows 8.1 disk becomes corrupted then restore the image from the external drive.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

#8 McDan

McDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Yes, that's what I plan to do. If I like win10 I will continue to use it but it's always good to have a backup os.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Good. Too many people do not have backups of their files or OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users