Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am not sure if I am infected but there's files I have no idea what they are!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hello again! You guys have helped before so I wanted to come back when I wasn't sure. My computer has been lagging and running really slow. I don't know much about computers but there are files I don't know about on my computer. I downloaded the trial for malwarebytes and it found a bunch of potential threats. I am not sure what to do or how to find out if they are actual threats or not? What should I do? Thank you again for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

Without seeing the log file, Malwarebytes most likely detected Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) and/or Potentially Unwanted Modifcation (PUM) as threats. No action was taken because the default setting for detected PUPs (and PUMs) is to "Warn user about detections"...meaning you are only alerted to any detections. Malwarebytes will not automatically remove these detections unless you reconfigure (change) the default Non-Malware Protection settings to "Treat detections as malware". If you changed those settings previously, then double-check and make sure they were saved correctly.

Launch Malwarebytes, and click the Detection and Protection Option section. Under Non-Malware Protection, you will see PUP (and PUM) with a drop down box to the right which allows you to select the action you want Malwarebytes to take. Select: Treat detections as malware. If you are using the new Malwarebytes 3.0, see Potential Threats here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

I am using the malware bytes premium trial 3.0.5. The option to treat PUP as malware and PUM as malware is selected. I didn't change anything, I kept all the recommended settings. I really don't understand why my computer is so slow and lagging so much. I used CCleaner to clean up my unused files. The malwarebytes scan said it was cancelled during the scan but I didn't cancel it. Here is the log from that. I am running another scan now hopefully that one completes.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 1/7/17
Scan Time: 11:41 AM
Logfile: Malwarebytes Report.txt
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.0.5.1299
Components Version: 1.0.43
Update Package Version: 1.0.946
License: Trial