Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 desktop system clock resetting and BIOS issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

I have a desktop that is rarely used after I rebuilt it about a year ago.  All of a sudden I'm starting to have issues with it where the system clocks keeps getting set to 04/07/2020.  I would update the system time in admin functions, but it would be set back a few days later.  So I decided to update the clock and restart the computer to see if the date would remain, but then I was getting CMOS errors (overclock settings were wrong), but I don't overclock.  I got windows to boot up and the time was still correct.  A few days later when I logged onto my account it was wrong again and my AV was expired.  I figured it was the CMOS battery on the MB I went ahead and put in a brand new one.  When I booted up the CMOS overclock message fired again so I used default settings to get into Windows again and used Admin to set the time again.  This issue is still happening almost 2 weeks later so I scanned my computer with my Kaspersky and it found nothing.  I also loaded Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything either.  I'm not sure if there is a hardware issue causing this or if someone is getting into my router and has figured out how to take control of my computer and is changing the date to shut Kaspersky down.  

Anyone have any ideas?   

Edited by Scott Stoef, 07 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

I kept trying to update my CMOS settings, but when I restarted they didn't save.  I was able to use the default settings for the CMOS and then all of the sudden that woudn't won't work anymore either, so I can only assume my motherboard has officially failed and the computer is done.   How hard is it to pull my existing Windows 7 license and move it to a new computer?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users