Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete drop down list in Windows 10 Home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RoseCityDave

RoseCityDave

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

I am unable to delete the drop down list that occurs in the "File name" dialog box when saving downloaded files.  Deleting everything using the Delete Browsing History in Internet Options fails to remove the drop down list.

Is there any other way of deleting these pesky drop down lists?

I hope I do not have to do a reinstall of Windows 10.

Any help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Why on earth would you need to?  You can simply type in the entire name you want if you don't want to accept what the file being downloaded is already named and you're not forced to use the items in the combo box dropdown - they're presented for your convenience.

I can't say how many times I've been downloading where I want to name files with the same name and sequence number, e.g., RockPhotos01.jpg, RockPhotos02.jpg, etc., where having the ability to select "RockPhotos02" and then just change that 2 to 3 for the next file in sequence has saved me tons of typing.  If I want an entirely different filename than the download file has then I just enter what I want.

I'm trying to understand what the impediment is here, and I have the feeling that something's missing in the original description.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Deleting File Explorer History    The dropdown list in File Explorer is not cleared in your browser history.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

John,

Interesting article, and a good one to file away for future reference.  However, it doesn't address "he drop down list that occurs in the "File name" dialog box when saving downloaded files."

I'm still trying to fathom what the issue is there and await clarification from the original poster.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 RoseCityDave

RoseCityDave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

John,

Interesting article, and a good one to file away for future reference.  However, it doesn't address "he drop down list that occurs in the "File name" dialog box when saving downloaded files."

I'm still trying to fathom what the issue is there and await clarification from the original poster.

Some of my work files have names that are to be kept private according to HIPAA regulations.

I just want to know how it can be done.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

No idea if this will help but thought I'd post it in case it gives you any ideas.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/206177-how-disable-clear-file-name-dropdown-lists-common-dialog-boxes.html

#7 RoseCityDave

RoseCityDave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

No idea if this will help but thought I'd post it in case it gives you any ideas.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/206177-how-disable-clear-file-name-dropdown-lists-common-dialog-boxes.html

This worked!

Thank you.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

John,

Some of my work files have names that are to be kept private according to HIPAA regulations.

I'm glad you have a solution.  It's interesting to know how these dropdowns can be disabled at various levels in file explorer.

I,  too, have done work on my home computer that has HIPAA implications, but there is nothing I've ever used in a file name (and client name, unless very uncommon, doesn't count under HIPAA) that would be considered private personally identifiable information, particularly if the file itself is gone and removed via a "secure shredder" delete.  Thank heaven HIPAA at least has that proviso, since we all walk around all over the place, our entire lives, with our names being shared in public as a matter of course.  Even an uncommon name isn't, absent other Protected Health Information attached to it, HIPAA covered PHI.

I also establish multiple accounts on any shared machine so that no one else who uses that machine can see anything I've done.

~ Mark Twain

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Hi and welcome: :)

John,

(Emphasis mine)

If this is your work computer, then I respectfully suggest contacting your in-house IR/IT/InfoSec staff for further guidance.

If this your own computer (e.g. your own unencrypted laptop) on which you have HIPAA-sensitive data with PII (such as medical records or portions thereof), then you may already be in violation of HIPAA, depending on your employer's "BYOD" security policies.

The penalties for violating HIPAA rules are substantial, even when the violations are well-meaning and unintentional.  The Feds do not mess around with this at all.

This applies both to individuals and to organizations.  It can be very complicated.

As such, no matter what it is you might be trying to do, I respectfully suggest that you consult with your IT professionals for further guidance -- for your own safety and for that of your employer and the patients whose data are involved.

Just my two cents and worth less, as a friendly suggestion,

MM

#10 RoseCityDave

RoseCityDave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi and welcome: :)

John,

(Emphasis mine)

If this is your work computer, then I respectfully suggest contacting your in-house IR/IT/InfoSec staff for further guidance.

If this your own computer (e.g. your own unencrypted laptop) on which you have HIPAA-sensitive data with PII (such as medical records or portions thereof), then you may already be in violation of HIPAA, depending on your employer's "BYOD" security policies.

The penalties for violating HIPAA rules are substantial, even when the violations are well-meaning and unintentional.  The Feds do not mess around with this at all.

This applies both to individuals and to organizations.  It can be very complicated.

As such, no matter what it is you might be trying to do, I respectfully suggest that you consult with your IT professionals for further guidance -- for your own safety and for that of your employer and the patients whose data are involved.

Just my two cents and worth less, as a friendly suggestion,

MM

Your suggestion is appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users