Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No COA# no HD ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

I purchased a computer that was recycled by the state. (windows 7) HD removed and destroyed, COA# sticker removed. I have a computer same make but different model.(with COA#) Specs say they both use the same HD, I have been told that you cannot transfer the license from one computer to another. I have a windows 7 disc also. So explain what I need to get this up and running. I see on Ebay that you can buy a COA sticker along with a smashed HD. How would that work, if I had no hard drive and no COA# in my computer? I am sure I cannot just install the HD from my computer and put it in the one without a HD and expect it to work. I am aware that I will have to install windows on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

If you want information about something advertised or otherwise stated on a different website...IMO, the logical place to inquire about such is that website.

Microsoft's position is quite clear...has been so for about 12 years now.  Any selling of licenses can only be done legally if purchaser is acquiring a Genuine Windows install media.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

You can purchase COA product code for Windows 7 for about $40. US.  You may be able to get your local computer repair shop to burn you a copy of the installation disc if you explain your circumstances.  With that and the COA code you can install the retail operating system in a OEM computer.  You will have to go to the computer's manufacturer's website and download the drivers for this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

I received computer today.  It was a computer recycled by the state and they said that they remove the hard drive and destroy and the law requires them to remove the COA sticker and destroy it.  I got the computer today and it still has the original Microsoft sticker on it with the COA.  It has windows 7 Pro sticker on it.  So if I put another HD in . I have a Microsoft Home premium 32 bit disc.  Will this work and can I get all the drivers?.  I want to put a 32 bit system on it because I have programs that will not run in 64.  Or will I have to install Pro again.  To get the drivers?

#5 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

You can purchase COA product code for Windows 7 for about $40. US.  You may be able to get your local computer repair shop to burn you a copy of the installation disc if you explain your circumstances.  With that and the COA code you can install the retail operating system in a OEM computer.  You will have to go to the computer's manufacturer's website and download the drivers for this computer.

Dell 790

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

You have a system without a legal install of O/S and no valid license.  It's that simple.

The license originally issued...belongs to the state, hence they removed the sticker from the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users