Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Slow And Crashes Or Restarts Itself Regularly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Superwitch

Superwitch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

I am new here and although I am fine with working out how to use software etc I am rubbish with hardware and anything that goes on in the background of my PC.

My PC was custom built by my now ex-husband. It has not worked properly since he left (can't be sure that it was sabotaged - lol) and I am really not sure where to start with all of the minor things.

My main problem is that it is slow to start up and regularly crashes or re-starts itself.

I am keen and quick to learn new things but really don't know where to start on this one.

Please could somebody give me some advice on where to start. I would really appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance.

Superwitch x

p.s I no longer have my Windows CD as it mysteriously left my house around the same time as my husband.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

Do you ever see any error messages?
Have you run your anti-virus,anti-spyware/malware scans recently?
You may want to check out Bleeping Computers Trouble Shooting Checklist for a Slow Computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Superwitch

Superwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:40 PM

Hi TMacK

Thanks ever so much for the reply.

I have bitdefender (is it any good?) for viruses which I update and run regularly.

I use Spybot and Adaware for spyware etc.

I checked the slow start up list earlier and checked my start up programs (using Spybot) and got rid of some of them.

I regularly use the disk cleanup facility, defrag and scandisk.

Unfortunately one of my other problems is that my CD burner seems to have packed up so can't put my photos etc on CDs but I have transferred them to another hard drive.

Not really sure what else to try.

Superwitch x

p.s forgot to say that I do regularly get error messages but off the top of my head can't remember what they say and you can bet that I won't get any for a while now so that I can't post them here - lol.

Edited by Superwitch, 29 August 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

Thanx for the update.
Another great piece of freeware that is recommended here at BC is Ewido Anti-Spyware. I suggest you download it,update it and run it in safe mode.
For the first 30 days the updates are automatic and after that,you must either buy the product or do the updates somewhat like you do with Spybot or Ad-Aware.
Next time you get an error message,please post it here so we can accurately diagnose your problem.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

I would recommend going through this procedure. It has been well refined.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal...ntion:_Overview

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users