Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Crash, Failed Defrag, and Several BSoD.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Itsame

Itsame

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

So, Since starting to play XCom 2, I have run into a slew of computer issues, such as hot CPU temps. my attempts to map temps led to my first in game BSoD.
Looking into this led to others.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have no idea what I've gotten myself into, or where to even begin.

Thanks in advance!

Here are the dump files:

Attached File  dumptemp.zip   371.57KB   0 downloads

Edited by Itsame, 07 January 2017 - 01:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

So your saying Xcom2 is the only app/game that giving you problems ?

If its the only thing giving you problems do you play other games besides that one that work well with out problems and if so what are they.

How would you descibe your computer when it comes to how stable it is ?

How offten douse your computer crash in a month if your not trying to play xcom2.

my attempts to map temps led to my first in game BSoD

Hemmm looks like we should take a close look at this topic.

Do you mind doing the following, don't know what your computer setup is and it helps to know what it is in order to help someone in a forum.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Edit typo fix

Edited by shadow_647, 07 January 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Itsame

Itsame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

So far yes, XCom2 was the only one. A few other games were bringing me to ~65*C with my stock fan, so I upgraded to a Cryorig C7 just to bring them down with ~ to < 60*C results.

XC2 actually shut my compuer down once.

Now, as I've said. The recent issues are BSoD. I tried to Defrag my computer which caused the first BSod. While attempting to remedy this, I received another.

Specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Eo5HQSggSTn8qAwfm08x4xs

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Well i don't know 100% whats going on but from what i can tell from speccy you have a big 8 core AMD 125TDP cpu that doesn't like it if you go past 61C, oddly i looked up the same cpu architecture the other day and on the 6 core version of your cpu it was saying 70C max.

Thing is you have one temp limit were the cpu can become damage over time, one were the cpu instantly fries and one were its just unstable.

If you want to do a test on the topic to see how bad the heat topic is then down load the use the following.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Depending on how you feel stop the test at 65c , if the computer bombs/resets/locks up/restarts then we know what the root of the problem is.

At the same time you all ready said your in the 60c and that's probably with not all cores loaded.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-6300.html

Sadly i keep seeing this topic over and over on this forum, seems so many people just don't know how hot modern cpus run.

Edited by shadow_647, 07 January 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Itsame

Itsame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I already tried running prime95 (should be in one of those dump files.) Computer shut off after a few short minutes both times I attempted. I even rolled back from current version to 26.6

Edited by Itsame, 07 January 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Then we know whats going on, the cpu and mobo will try and protect it self if you push the heat topic past rated max, as well doing that kind of thing to your cpu is like wiping the chip off a wall each time, you need to under-clock and under volt that cpu if you want to keep using that heat sink and or change cooling setups.

If you want i can tell you what to change in the bios to make the system stable with out spending cash ..as long as you don't mind a performance hit.

#7 Itsame

Itsame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

Performance hit in what, gaming?

I built my computer as a workhorse, just above bare minimum for gaming. If gaming take a it ok, but I need all the power I can get for the rest of what I do.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

Performance hit in what, gaming?

In everything.

It be like turning half the cpu off core wise or something like, its that or replace the cooler.

That make the cpu a TDP62.5 and as long as were under 60c or under we should be good.

In this review of your cooler with a TDP83 cpu at room temperature of 23°C max load testing the thing hits like all most 100c, remember your cpu is hotter at TDP125 and AMD recommends you keep it under 60C

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/C7/6.html

I already tried running prime95 (should be in one of those dump files.) Computer shut off after a few short minutes both times I attempted

Your lucky the pc powered down, if it didn't protect it self i would guess the cpu and maybe the motherboard at the same time would fry, i wouldn't go their anymore as it can brake your pc as well over time the pc will become damaged from the heat levels im seeing with that cooler, just going their the times that you have is brutal for the cpu.

I built my computer as a workhorse, just above bare minimum for gaming. If gaming take a it ok, but I need all the power I can get for the rest of what I do.

Then you have to replace the heat stink with something very aggressive and big, TDP125 is a big number and the heat sink your using is no ware near able to deal with the heat that AMD cpu puts out.

Dropping the performance on your cpu is just a quick fix as you wait for better cooling so you can still use your computer safely....for now if you want if you don't have like $50~$100 to spend but still want a working computer.

Edited by shadow_647, 08 January 2017 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users