Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi all... need input on my first build. Linux Mint 18.1 machine w/ Windows also

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jageorge72

jageorge72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

Hello everyone.   First post here.... need advice from people smarter than me.   Our Mac Pro is now about 10 years old (still runs great), but I can't upgrade the OS, Google Chrome, Think-or-Swim, etc. anymore, so it is time to get a new computer.   I'm not paying over $3,000 for a new Mac Pro.   Even a maxed out Mac Mini is over $1500.   I liked the security/bug free experience I had on the Mac, so I am thinking of building my own computer and installing Linux Mint 18.1.   As a test, I took an 8 year old Windows laptop we rarely use, shrunk the HD to create free space, and installed Linux Mint 18.1 along side Windows 10.   It actually worked!

I recently read a Lifehacker article about great $300, $600, and $1200 computers you can build, and am now inspired to build my own.   So with a little help of the internet, I don't see why I can't build a Linux machine for my daily home computer.   I would probably still install a copy of Windows 10 on a separate partition (as a security blanket in case Linux goes haywire).

Right now, my goal is this:
This computer will be used mostly for internet browsing, e-mail, music (ripping CDs and loading up iPod Shuffle), streaming video (You Tube, Netflix, Amazon Video, MLB.tv, etc..) and some light games our daughter plays (Animal Jam, Minecraft).   There is a small chance my wife may use the Adobe Creative Suite, and I may log into work from home and use Revit 3D modeling software, but these 2 things are not a big concern.   We also need to use a webcam with Skype occasionally to talk with family.

I have about 300 GB of music, pictures, video, etc..   I am thinking I would like one 750MB SSD.   That should be plenty of space.

Which, leads to my questions about hardware and compatibility.   I chose most of the items in the Lifehacker $600 build, with a few modifications.  How does this look, and will Linux Mint 18.1 work perfectly with these components?

CPU
Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
$189.69

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$145.03

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
$93.99

Storage
Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$169.99

Case
Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case
$59.99

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$74.99

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
$88.58

Total: $822.26

I know some of this may be overkill for what I said I want to do with this computer, but that's OK.... I want this thing to last & be fast for quite a while.

NOW....... one other thing I want is an optical drive that Reads/Writes CDs and DVDs...... and plays BluRays.   When I plug these components into the PC Part Picker tool and select Optical Drive (with compatibility check enabled)..... no optical drives show up?   Is it true that NO optical drives work with this setup?   If so..... what is causing the conflict, and what do I need to change?

Really appreciate any advice here.....  pretty excited about this project, and want it to go smoothly.   Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

- You really want to use Intel's integrated graphics with Linux?

- You don't need overclocking motherboard with i5-6500.

- You chose case with no 5.25 inch drive bays so PC Partpicker is right, you cannot use internal DVD/Blu-Ray with that case.

#3 jageorge72

jageorge72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the response.   Can you elaborate on point #1?   I don't know the answer...... why no integrated graphics with Linux?

Point #2..... you are correct.  I will pick another one.

Point #3 .....yep.   I see that now.  Will chose a tower that accepts an optical drive.

Thanks.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Point #1: Intel has not good track record on Linux drivers.

AMD Zen launches on 10 days. It might be good idea to wait two months for good availability. Then again it's possible Zen is not launched then on that price range...

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

Storage
Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$169.99

Id go small on the SSD just for the Os my self "64gigs~128gigs" and get a 2TB old stile drive for the rest, end up costing you the same amout as well SSD drives are not as reliable as the older stile of drives from what i understand.

As well when you have everything on one drive if the Os install dies you have a real nice mess to clean up when the Os is on the same drive as all the rest.

Motherboard dousen't have any pci 32bit slots so my self ill pass on that if it was my call and only one ps2 connector.

on-board video blows and is a memory bandwidth vampire, id add a video card to your system even if its a old and cheap one it still do better then the on-board inlet junk, $20 video card could do better.

by the way you forgot to add in the price of a cpu cooler.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

You only got 4 USB ports on that board, and only 2 of those are USB3. If that is no problem for you, well and good. But (for example) on my board out of 7 ports I am using 6. You might want to check the Newegg users' reviews; for a top-quality board seems like a lot of complaints. Also....bear in mind that if you enter a warranty claim, Asus will only repair, not replace your board. So.....bottom line is that you pay for a new board but get a refurb in return. Newegg is a good place to purchase, they give you 30 days to exchange for a new board if you get a DOA or problem board.

Just some thoughts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&cm_re=Asus_Z170-A_ATX_LGA1151-_-13-132-566-_-Product

As far as SSDs go.....If you stick with Crucial or Samsung you won't go wrong. I suggest a 500gig.The difference in price between that and a smaller just isn't worth the savings. After you use that you will never want to go back to a standard HDD again. Just a reminder...as long as you are doing it, set up a backup system and make backups twice a month like a religion. If anything fails you restore and are back in business in a few minutes like nothing ever happened. I would guess that at least 25% of the help posts on this forum, and probably 70% of the posts on the Malware infection forum would not be here if the user had bothered to make current backups of his main partition.

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 January 2017 - 05:30 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

120gig ssd Kingston $50

3TB hdd old stile is like $95 x2 $190 for 6TB on two drives.

Total cost $250 for 3 drives over 6TB total space with a dedicated Os drive as well seeing as we have twin 3TB drives one could do a raid 1 to if they wanted.

lol you can keep your 500gig ssd at the same price ;) no disrespect intended.

Cheapest 600gig SSD i found "they didn't have any 500gig on newegg" was $250

Im only using newegg for quick ballpark pricing, and agreed i wouldn't buy from their my self, ill go to a local shop for my parts.

Agreed as well, most pc users are foolish and don't think about what might happen down the road and so don't get setup with backups of any kind and when things go badly only then do they pay the price, only then do they learn the mistakes of their ways.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

lol you can keep your 500gig ssd at the same price

Yup, I sure will. In a heartbeat.

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but hows about this for a 500gig SSD? $170, no shipping, no tax (most states). The first thing came up at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=samsung+SSd&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

$178 +a cheap 1TB backup/data HDD, what wrong with those prices??  Will cut your boot time and data access time HUGE.  Especially if he is running any 3D modeling or graphics programs. I run CorelDraw and Photoshop in a fraction of time now for redraws, and rendering in my video editor is fast.

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 January 2017 - 07:52 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 jageorge72

jageorge72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

I ended up buying all this stuff.   A big price-drop alert triggered on a Fractal Design Define case ....so I jumped on it.   Then decided I needed to buy it all.   Couldn't wait anymore..... haha.   I had it narrowed down pretty well I think.   Decided to scrap the BluRay capable optical drive for a high-rated & cheap CD/DVD ROM drive instead.   This will now be a Linux-only machine too.   No Windows.

CPU - Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor - $188.99
Motherboard - Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - $145.34
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory - $92.99
Storage - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $164.99
Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case - $79.99
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$78.89
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer - $18.80

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Well done; your unit is going to rocket.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but hows about this for a 500gig SSD? $170, no shipping, no tax (most states). The first thing came up at Newegg.

My prices are in Canadian dalliers not US ^^ but good find, couldn't find any 500gigs my self when i looked though i didn't look hard.

$178 +a cheap 1TB backup/data HDD, what wrong with those prices??

ya ok i could go for that too, maybe though that's only 1.5TB total and no raid.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100011700&LeftPriceRange=0%20180

Did a search for under $180 for ssds

seems i didn't look hard, found some 480gig ssd drives even cheaper then the one you linked to and in Canadian dalliers.

My self too im not picky about loading times as well "example on this pc im still on a 40gig ide for my os drive", if you have the ram once whatever is loaded your hdd speed dousen't change your fps in games so my self id take the 6+ TB of hdd space vs less at the same price, personal preference topic.

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$78.89

Cpu cooler ?

Video card ?

Edited by shadow_647, 12 January 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

, maybe though that's only 1.5TB total and no raid.

Did the OP say he wanted RAID??  Did he say that he wanted 3GB of storage?? We are trying to help him find what HE needs, not you. RAID never came in to the issue. 3gigs of storage never came into the issue. For close to the same money, he has a vastly superior performance setup the way he configured. Since BC is located in the USA, assume US dollars not Canadian unless the OP is located in Canada and then disclose that. You gotta think straight in order to help posters, buddy. You have a lot of good knowledge, but think it out before you post. And please.......you got to learn common English and spelling in order to be understood. That is the same both in USA and our good buddy, Canada.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

Point #1: Intel has not good track record on Linux drivers.

I don't seem to have any problems with Intel drivers and Linux.

Spoiler

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

Cpu cooler ?

Video card ?

CPU cooler is in the box for the Intel CPU and video card is integrated into the CPU.  The only issue I see with the build is possibly drivers under Mint Linux, but if it is anything like Debian Linux, the OP should be fine in that regard.  I'd love to use Debian again full time, but I keep getting drawn back into Windows with gaming.

3939.png

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:59 AM

I tried Linux Mint 17 on my rig and there were no driver issues. I just don't like Mint I prefer Ubuntu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users