Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 seems terribly slow

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dk59

dk59

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

I've had a Dell Inspiron15 for about 1 yr and it's always felt really sluggish for a modern laptop.

I'm just finally frustrated completely by it. Does anyone have any recommendations to help get this thing running quicker?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2017 - 10:40 AM.
Moved from W10 Support to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

Consider doing a fresh install. More info here

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-factory-reset-windows-10-3642176/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I've had a Dell Inspiron15 for about 1 yr and it's always felt really sluggish for a modern laptop.

If it has always been slow doing a fresh install of the operating system will not change its performance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

@dk59

Please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkbox only:

• List Installed Programs

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

If it has always been slow doing a fresh install of the operating system will not change its performance.

A clean install of Win 10 will remove all bloatware that came with laptop. Sure you have to re-install programs you may have had, but provided you have the licence info for those programs it's not really a problem.

Also backing up any photos etc beforehand should be done (if not already stored in the cloud, Dropbox etc)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

@opera

You would need a retail copy of Windows 7 to do a installation without the bloatware that comes on the OEM installation media.  Then you would need to go to the manufacturer's website to download and install all of the needed drivers.  

At this point the OP has yet to provide the results of the two requested scans.  Without this information we don't know if this is simply a lack of sufficient RAM or if there are programs that should be reconsidered because of the amount of resources they use.  In short... with the information we have a this time I wouldn't consider a fresh install, much less going through the hassle of using a retail copy of Windows 7 to do the installation and then having to download and install the drivers.  And then there are the programs that the OP may have already installed.  They will need to reinstall these with the possibility that if they are paid for versions they may have to prove that they purchased these programs to their manufacturers.

Edited by dc3, 08 January 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

@dc3

As his machine is already a registered Windows 10 machine in the Microsoft database, why are you saying he would need a Windows 7 retail copy?

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

@dc3

As his machine is already a registered Windows 10 machine in the Microsoft database, why are you saying he would need a Windows 7 retail copy?

I agree with opera. The OP does not need any Windows 7 installation media because he already on Windows 10. I also agree that a clean install of Windows 10 could possibly clean up and refresh the OP's computer and make it faster.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

For what ever reason I mistakenly posted "Windows 7" while I knew that this was about Windows 10.  Other than that, what I posted is still true.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

For what ever reason I mistakenly posted "Windows 7" while I knew that this was about Windows 10.  Other than that, what I posted is still true.

I am sorry to disagree, but even if you substitute the words Windows 10 for Windows 7 in your original post, I still believe that you are incorrect. No need for any retail copy of Windows 10 because the OP already has Windows 10 installed on his computer, all the OP would need is an ISO from Microsoft.

Considering this, the ISO download from Microsoft will not contain any of the bloatware that came pre-installed on the computer, so I agree with opera that this would be a wise course of action for the OP in order to streamline his computer and make it more responsive.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Go back to post #5.

A clean install of Win 10 will remove all bloatware that came with laptop.  

In order to install Windows 10 without the bloatware you will need the retail copy of Windows 10.  If you go this route you will have to download all of the drivers for this computer from the manufacturer.  you can download a Windows 10 ISO and burn it to a disc or place it on a flash drive to install it.  The OEM Windows 10 installation has a digitally registered copy of the COA which will be recognized and the operating system will activate.

The information I posted was correct.  

Can we get back to the topic now?  

A clean install of Win 10 will remove all bloatware that came with laptop. Sure you have to re-install programs you may have had, but provided you have the licence info for those programs it's not really a problem.

Edited by dc3, 09 January 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

It would be very helpful to have the data requested by dc3 regardless of what direction comes next.

I will agree that doing either a Reset or a fresh installation of Windows 10 will include only Windows 10 and not any "bloatware" that might have been on the OEM installation.  That being said, most bloatware doesn't run constantly in the background.  It's a collection of junk programs that run if and when you start them.  If you don't start them they have no influence on system speed unless they happen to be a really odd exception that has something that gets triggered as a background process at system startup.   You can have thousands of extra programs on a machine, including the registry entries for same, and see virtually no difference in system performance if they're not actually running and eating CPU and/or Memory and/or Disc resources (and, to a lesser extent, Network resources).

I find recommendations to reinstall Windows (whether 10 or other) without diagnostic data, in hopes it will fix an undefined problem, the classic example of "a shot in the dark."   A bit of investigation before going that route, sometimes way more than a bit, is warranted.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

I couldn't agree more.  I just hope that the OP hasn't given up because of all the unneeded posts.  If they haven't given up on us hopefully they will provide us with the requested information.  Perhaps then we can make decisions based of facts rather that taking that shot in the dark, it could be worse, there are members that believe that a shotgun approach is the best way to go about resolving issues.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

I wasn't aware that posts offering suggestions were classed as unneeded here at BC.

The poster said that when they got the machine it felt slow, this is often the case with 3rd party bloatware being on the machine.

Added to that, the poster now has added a whole year of use and accumulation to his machine to the extent that he is extremely frustrated with it.

Don't not presume to tell me that my suggestions are just shotgun approaches to troubleshooting. I like nothing more than troubleshooting PC issues, I do it here and in real life.

However sometimes you have to accept that sometimes the best result would be a clean install and I believe this to be true in this case.

As for having to reinstall all Win 10 drivers from the manufacturer if you do a re-install, that is not the case. Win 10 is good at providing the vast majority of them itself at install.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

opera,

The original poster's opening sentence was, "I've had a Dell Inspiron15 for about 1 yr and it's always felt really sluggish for a modern laptop."

This suggests, though it does not prove, that something has been problematic from the start and it could be "one thing" that has gotten progressively worse.  I've seen this happen way more than once.

I do not disagree with your contentions that Win10 is awfully good at providing the vast majority of drivers and that if the machine had Windows 10 on it, whether by upgrade or straight out of the box, that nothing else is required to do a reset or a fresh install as far as licensing goes.  The licensing is already, as you say, stored on Microsoft servers and will be retrieved.

Suggesting a reinstall of Windows 10 without having done any diagnostics whatsoever to determine what might be the root cause of this sluggishness is the very definition of "taking a shot in the dark" whether you will acknowledge this or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users