Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new desktop cant run simple games

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Anzo361

Anzo361

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

I wanna say im not super computer savvy but i do know alittle about computers.

I just bought a new desktop from bestbuy 2 days ago and it cant run simple games like minecraft and league of legends. The games ive tried tho are overwatch, LoL, minecraft and terriria. 

It shouldnt have any malware or anything since i havent been surfing the internet that much yet.

Specs: 

Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 GHZ

Ram: 8.00GB (6.93 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system

I installed the new league of legends client and messed around with it but saw that it was laggy. I looked up to make sure i could run it smoothly and every program i used to test if i could run it says i could run it easyly. 

I figured out that my graphics card was turned off so i had to turn that on.

No idea what else to do. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Well all i can see is weak cpu and weak GPU, hope you didn't pay too much for that system because i can get a refurbished desktop computer with about the same hardware you have or better in the city were i live for like $60.

As for what you can do, well you can get a better video card for one, and a better cpu as well, or  you can just take it back to bestbuy and get something better.

And i don't understand why a desktop is using that cpu and games like minecraft and league of legends are probably single threaded games meaning one cpu core only games.

#3 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

I had a old laptop (Dont remember the specs) That was 5-6 years old that could run league or minecraft fine. I thought that this wouldn't have any problem running it.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

What ya pay for that desktop btw if you don't mind saying ?

#5 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Like 250ish

I just needed a low end computer to get me through for awhile.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

:(

Bla $250 a ripoff for what that thing is imho,for $250 my self id get a refreshed computer or something and spice it up some or a used older gaming computer.

My cpu like 10 years old if it isn't older and sells for like $7.50 on newegg and would own your cpu in any benchmark :/

in fact the 775 cpu on newegg is better then mine, i should upgrade lol.

Check out the prices here, this is a computer recycle place in the city were i live "Canada" with $250 you could make something nice with a decent add-on sound card and a half decent older video card.

http://pcdepotliquidation.com/

http://www.encandepot.com/

Got any places like this were you live ?

Edited by shadow_647, 07 January 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#7 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

I live in tiny town in usa kentucky i had to drive over a hour just to get to a bestbuy. 

We are lacking in alot of stuff that we could use in this town. (restaurants, hotels, job opportunities etc.)

I could order something online at newegg or something but stuff has a hard time getting here from online purchases 

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Ah ok i understand :(

Man the TDP "heat" from that cpu is tiny and heat limit is high like 90c, wonder how well it overclocks, besides that a video card could help, more then that dont know what to say.

Relly odd cpu for a desktop too, i wonder why someone would want a laptop cpu in a desktop.

What brand of computer is it ?

#9 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

HP

Ive done test and asked the guy at bestbuy if it could run overwatch and he said he could. but when i run overwatch or league i have HUGE fps problems.

Edited by Anzo361, 07 January 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Sadly can't overclock on HP computers, bios won't let you.

Mind doing this, wouldn't mind knowing more about your computer not that i think anything can be done to pump up the awesome besides a video card, just curious about what that computer is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#11 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/exJAkaguKvOREilh36q3kbr

That sucks that if it cant run what i need it to run. I thought it was better then it might have been.

I think i found what my old laptop was, It was called 

Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

Edited by Anzo361, 07 January 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Meh its a gutless HP mini computer with a 90watt psu thats hardly better then a laptop :mellow:

Can't upgrade anything on that so you can forget about the video card idea, like a laptop all you can change on that thing is hdd and ram.

At best seeing as it has a 1TB hdd it could be good for a home media computer just to watch TV and movies and play some really light games.

My self i might set it up with winXP if i could for some speed in older games but winXP is super old atm and i doubt theirs drivers for that computer as well for XP and winXP 32bit would cap the ram at 4gigs and directx9, their is a hack to be able to use more ram but its not a grate setup as most programs don't know what their doing when they see the custom memory config.

My self i would go back to bestbuy and trade it for something different if you don't like its performance, more then that i don't see what you could do with that thing.

You could probably get way better too using cregslist or something like for $250 used, if you don't mind a drive.

I don't know the internet sites for buy/sell/trade for your part of the world.

https://www.craigslist.ca/about/sites

#13 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

Isnt league of legends a lightweight game?

I downloaded a program that tells you what games you can run adn what settings. It said i could run overwatch on low, but when i do i have huge fps drops. and league is just as bad. :/

Ill guess ill just throw it away. the bestbuy doesnt have a return policy on opened and used computers. 

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Might be a windows problem, don't know why but of late it seems theirs piles of people with win10 and FPS probems of late, if you want we could do the rounds benchmark wise and see how the numbers stack up if you want.

I have no idea whats going on with win10 and no fix for the FPs probelm with older games besides downgrading to win7~win8.

#15 Anzo361

Anzo361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Yea thats fine. I have a windows 7 disc but i don't want to have to download everything all over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users