Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging-In Puzzle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CerebralFreeze

CerebralFreeze

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hi, everyone.  I've been searching the forum and the web for this answer and I can't seem to find anything.  It seems so easy though.

I've purchased antivirus and antimalware software.  And it comes with autoscans that you can set daily.  I want mine to go off at night around 3 am since I'd rather not having scans going off while I'm working.  I was able to find out how to wake up my computer at a certain time.  But how do you guys get over the hurdle of the Windows login?

Is it possible to have you computer locked but still have the antivirus still running its scans?

If not, I can deal with the security issue of automatic login since the office is locked.  But is there a way to get the windows to automatically login without getting rid of the logging in feature?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

G'day CerebralFreeze, and Welcome to BC....     :welcome:

I have no experience of this sort of thing at all.....however....if windows can install updates etc etc ad infinitum....in the middle of the night, or at some other time which is convenient to you....then I cannpt see why a 'paid for' av and am cannot do the same.

Set the AV and the AM to scan say an hour from now.....and turn the pc off.

Sit back and observe. (or have coffee, or whatever...)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 CerebralFreeze

CerebralFreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Hey Condobloke!

It's not the antivirus program that is the problem.  I want to leave my computer at say 5 pm.  And then have the computer start up by itself at 3 am.  Then the antivirus program to perform its daily scan.  And then have the computer shut off by itself.

I've been able to research and learn how to do every step except for a single one.  I have to log into Windows 10 with a password.  I've looked but there doesn't seem to be a way to have the computer automatically log in at a certain time.  I can disable my computer so that there isn't any log in but I can't do that because then anyone can just come along and go into my files.

The perfect thing would be is if my computer automatically logged in without the monitor turning on.  Then it would be very rare that someone would notice a computer running at 3 am in the morning.

G'day CerebralFreeze, and Welcome to BC....     :welcome:

I have no experience of this sort of thing at all.....however....if windows can install updates etc etc ad infinitum....in the middle of the night, or at some other time which is convenient to you....then I cannpt see why a 'paid for' av and am cannot do the same.

Set the AV and the AM to scan say an hour from now.....and turn the pc off.

Sit back and observe. (or have coffee, or whatever...)

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

quote..."I have to log into Windows 10 with a password."

Do you in fact HAVE TO do this ?????

have you tried it ?

I know common sense would tell you that yes you would have to log in....but i do wonder if the Av etc bypasses this requirement in some way.....they do have unlimited access to the very deepest levels of the OS after all...)

If this works just turn off the screen each day at 5pm to avoid attracting attention

(sorry to sound arrogant.....no offence meant....)

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 CerebralFreeze

CerebralFreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

Don't worry, my dear ol' chap.  No offense taken.   :clapping:

Common sense would dictate that antivirus programs would have figured out a way to automatically log into windows.  Otherwise, what the hell would be the point of having a feature in which you can schedule daily scans at a predetermined time?

But when I said that I didn't find any solutions on the web, I meant that I found more than a few threads that discussed this issue but they all didn't have a solution to this simple problem.  It seems mind boggling to me.

I would love to just turn off the monitor at 5 pm but I want to minimize the risk of someone getting into my computer.  They might find my secret stash of Care Bear videos!  I don't think I could bear the embarrassment if the rest of the office found out.  So you know how important this is.

Unfortunately, the antivirus program doesn't automatically log you in.  That was the first thing I checked.   :blush:

quote..."I have to log into Windows 10 with a password."

Do you in fact HAVE TO do this ?????

have you tried it ?

I know common sense would tell you that yes you would have to log in....but i do wonder if the Av etc bypasses this requirement in some way.....they do have unlimited access to the very deepest levels of the OS after all...)

If this works just turn off the screen each day at 5pm to avoid attracting attention

(sorry to sound arrogant.....no offence meant....)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

Ok...understood !!

Perhaps you could name the AV & AM concerned.......it would provide important info for others wanting to autoscan at more convenient times.

quietman7 (global Moderator) may well show an interest in this topic.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

I don't clearly understand your issue. Is the logging back in issue the result of the computer waking up after sleep or hibernation?

If so, many folks create special power schemes to use when doing their scans while others just turn these features off until the scan is complete.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hi, @quietman7:

Yes, it does seem a bit unclear. I *think* the OP may be trying to create some sort of task (in Windows, if not in the security program itself or via a 3rd-party application) to wake the computer to scan while idle/unattended, bypassing security measures such as the password requirement upon waking a computer from sleep/hibernation/shutdown?

That was my best guess, but it may well be inaccurate.

There's a similar discussion here.

Cheers,

MM

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Similar because it appears to be the same OP who started this topic.

CerebralFreeze

But whatever you do, how do you bypass the windows login?!

How to Skip the Windows 10 Login Screen and Log Into Your User Account Automatically
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users