Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Audio/System Stuttering only after installing nvidia drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SixVI

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

System Specs

CPU: Intel i5 6600k 
RAM: 16b (2x8) G. Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200
PSU: Corsair RM75x 750w Gold Modular
Case: Deepcool Genome
CPU Cooler: 360 Captain Liquid Cooling
WiFi: USB TP-Link AC600 (Archer T2UH)
SSD: 240g Silicon Power 
HDD: 5TB Western Digital Black
Soundcard: External Omega3d Recon Wireless (I've troubleshot with it installed and removed entirely working with strictly onboard audio)

Built this rig a week ago. Things were running fine, for the first three days, then I hit an error while backing up an old hdd and had to reinstall windows. Got the system back up and running. 

Later, I began to notice a very brief and sporadic stutter. My audio would distort and stretch out, my mouse would stall a bit, if I was in a game the frames per second would spike down. Only for a moment, but this usually came in twos and threes. 

This would happen if I loaded up an MP3, watched a video on the internet, watched a video on the hdd, booted up a game, opened up a program etc..  Especially noticeable if any background sound was coming from the speakers, as whatever was being output would stretch and stutter. In most cases, this would stabilize and go away. In games, after the initial load, it would tend to happen around load screens or transition screens in online multiplayer games, but the game is otherwise playable but can sometimes spike at inopportune times. 

DPCLAT and LatencyMon both showed huge spikes in latency. I was unfamiliar with the program at the time, so didn't know what to take note of, but it said I was likely to experience realtime audio and video dropouts because of drivers. Everything redbarred.

Updated the BIOS, per some suggestion from a little digging. No luck, problem persisted. No big deal.

New system, a quick wipe and reinstall wouldn't set me back much, a format and reinstall of Windows 10. Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Thumbdrive and 2.0 speakers plugged in. PnP drivers only, no internet connection. A brief play by play. Plenty of reboots. 

Tried listening to some music saved to the thumbdrive. Played smooth, no stutter.

Tried booting up a video from the thumbdrive. Played smooth, no stutter. 

Booted LatencyMon and DPCLAT off thumbdrive. Repeated tests. Smooth, no stutter, no red-lining.

Updated a few drivers from the thumbdrive, Repeated earlier tests. No stutter. No red-lining.

Plugged in Archer T2UH. Connected to internet. Repeated earlier tests, but also surfed the web, watched a video, and listened to music. No stutter. No redlining. 

Installed standalone Nvidia Driver, no geforce experience. Repeated earlier tests. Immediate return of the stutter. Immediate return to redline during each test. 

Removed Nvidia Driver with DDU. Repeated earlier tests. No stutter. No redline. 

Install Geforce Experience. No stutter, no redline. 
Install Nvidia Driver through Geforce Experience. Stutter, Redline. 

Remove Nvidia Driver with DDU, keep Geforce Experience. Shows no driver installed. No Stutter, No Redline. 

Rinse and repeat with a few versions of the driver. No luck there. Tweaked Power Settings to favor High Performance. No improvement. 

Did take a deeper look at LatencyMon. 

The three red flag drivers popping up seem to consistently be 

dxgkrnl.sys < most frequent offender

I don't know what to do at this point, and i've sunk about 35+ hours into it and beginning to wonder if I need to replace my graphics card at this point. Happy to answer any questions or recreate anything i've mentioned to give a closer look. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

How did you remove it with DDU? Like this?

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

#3 SixVI

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yes, those were the steps I followed each time.

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2017 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users