Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB3125574 rollup installs but Windows 7 fails to load

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

I am trying to install the Windows 7 rollup KB3125574.  Installation completes successfully and restart is successful.  Eventually, on a later power on or restart, Windows fails to start.

I've tried installing this update numerous times, with antivirus on & off and with my wireless connection connected and not connected, and combinations of all four (on, off, connected, not connected).  It eventually causes a boot failure every time.  As far as I can tell the problem is directly related to KB3125574.

There is no obvious pattern to the start failure as far as whether it's at restart or at power on.  After I began to have this problem I would attempt another installation of the rollup.  Each time, when it was complete I could restart the system multiple times in a row without a problem.  However, sooner or later (within a day) the system will not successfully boot into Windows.

When it fails to start the "starting windows" screen appears, the four colored dots form the windows logo panes, I see a instantaneous blue screen and the machine boots into startup repair.  After a system restore the system goes back to being stable.

I understand on a fresh Windows 7 install update KB3020369 needs to be installed before KB3125574.  KB3020369 is installed.

I really don't want to do a fresh Windows 7 installation if I can help it.

Can anyone please guide me to correct this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

@ToshibaLaptopUser

I understand on a fresh Windows 7 install update KB3020369 needs to be installed before KB3125574.  KB3020369 is installed.

There is no obvious pattern to the start failure as far as whether it's at restart or at power on.  After I began to have this problem I would attempt another installation of the rollup.  Each time, when it was complete I could restart the system multiple times in a row without a problem.  However, sooner or later (within a day) the system will not successfully boot into Windows.

My Suggestion... The next time you are successful booting into Windows...

1. Open Control Panel > Programs and Features View installed updates

2. In the Search Installed Updates type KB3125574

3. Right Click the highlighted update and Uninstall this Update.

4. Leave the View installed updates window open

5. The link below refers to known issues and fixes concerning KB3125574 Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. from the Microsoft Engineering Team
    http://windows-update-checker.com/FAQ/ConvenienceRollupKB3125574-Issues.htm

6. Repeat Steps 2. 3. & 4. for each KB mentioned in the document. Some of the KB Updates refer to Windows Server and can be ignored.

7. When you are finished Step 6. restart your computer.

8. Choose Windows Update from Control Panel and click Check for updates. Let Windows Update search your computer for necessary updates. Windows Update tells you if an update is important,    recommended, or optional. Please review and install all important, recommended and optional updates (Driver Updates are up to you).

9. Restart your computer if directed to do so and repeat Step 8. Until No Updates Are Found

Optional... Visit: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx, in the Search Box type each KB you removed to see if there is a manual install for that update. If available download and      install the update, Restart your computer if directed. and repeat.

My preference would be Steps 8. & 9.

I hope this helps resolve your issue with Windows 7 and KB3125574

Old Rocker

#3 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the response -- I'll try your suggestions and get back.

#4 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Did everything through step 8. . .     nearly 24 hours of "checking for updates".  That was a problem during the second half of 2016 that I was hoping KB3125574 and KB3172605 would fix.

Looks a lot like reinstalling Windows 7 will be required.

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

@ToshibaLaptopUser

Did everything through step 8. . .     nearly 24 hours of "checking for updates".  That was a problem during the second half of 2016 that I was hoping KB3125574 and KB3172605 would fix.

Looks a lot like reinstalling Windows 7 will be required.

Before reinstalling Windows 7 try this...

Both KB3125574 and KB3172605 and KB3125574 are available following the links below...

Also if you kept a list of the KB's you removed you may find most of them following the link I offered under the Optional step in post #2

Again I hope this helps resolve your issue with Windows 7 and KB3125574

Old Rocker

#6 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Old Rocker:

I have updates KB3125574 (you listed it twice) and KB3172605.  I've tried installing them as standalone updates with failure.

The system is currently stable so maybe I should just live without updates.  I don't want to do that -- I think it's foolish -- but reinstalling Windows 7 will be a long, drawn out affair.

I'm going to fiddle with the two updates listed here.  Would it be wrong to try KB3172605 before KB3125574?

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

@ToshibaLaptopUser

In the box on the right under Filter bulletins by product or component scroll down until you get to...
Windows 7 for x64 based Systems Service Pack 1 or Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1 depending on your flavor of Windows 7 installed.

It will then show you a list of Updates (371) in the order they were released for that operating system.

Take note... The list defaults to Newest first but clicking the arrow in the Date field will reverse the list to Oldest first.

You can also search   by bulletin, KB, or CVE number using the search window on the left.

I hope this helps answer your question of which KB to install first!

Old Rocker

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Ya i know what you mean OP, imho Microsoft should take all the updates or someone should and put it all in to one installer and call it SP2 for win7 "with out the get win10 or telemetry trash"

That make reinstalls way less of a pain, really dont know why Microsoft hasn't made a sp2 "greed/evil" yet for win7 i mean theirs like 400+ updates for the thing last i checked after a reinstall.

#9 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Old Rocker:

Thanks for the reply.

It looks as if KB3125574 finally worked -- at least so far.  I installed KB3172605 and it seemed to work too.  I ran Windows Update and got 34 updates, 17 important & 17 optional.  I installed the important ones and on restart Windows failed to load and the restore put me back to only KB3125574 installed.  I've tried all kinds of combinations of the updates and can't get any successful installations.

It's looking grim.

shadow_647

KB3125574 is supposed to be SP2.  However, it probably has all the Windows 10 stuff no one wanted.  I think all of that may have been the start of my current problems.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

shadow_647

KB3125574 is supposed to be SP2.  However, it probably has all the Windows 10 stuff no one wanted.  I think all of that may have been the start of my current problems.

Good to know, ill do some research on the topic and see what turns up just so i know what that update is all about and so i have a informed option on the topic in the future, maybe ill find a fix for your problem or some info at the same time that could be of some help.

Sadly forcing people to take all the bad stuff that no one wants with the stuff everyone needs is kind of evil on Microsoft part and i know my self i won't touch that update if that's whats its all about, sucks you still have problems and i wish i could be of more help, sadly i only know know how to work winXP mostly or older versions of windows.

#11 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hi:

KB3125574 is just that:

Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

There never was such thing as "SP2" for Windows 7.

Calling that particular patch "SP2" may be confusing and misleading for some users.

(Or it might lead to unsuspecting users installing "fake" or "rogue" software from unauthorized sources.)

Having said that, KB3125574, along with KB3020369 and KB3172605, is one of three helpful patches to install on a fresh Win7 install in order to resolve the widespread issue with the Windows Update client that troubled nearly every Windows 7 user for several months.

Once those updates have been installed from their offline installers, WU client should perform normally, permitting the user to download and install available Windows Updates.

See HERE.

Cheers,

MM

#12 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

True, rollup KB3125574 is not really "SP2" for Windows 7 nor was it promoted that way by the issuer.  But it seems to contain a lot more than fixes for the update client.

That said, if shadow_647 has 400 updates to install on a clean installation of the operating system, it would be a vast improvement.  By all means shadow_647 should follow the advice HERE. . .

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

I just use winXP, don't care much for newer version of windows, they tend to get on my nerves and ill go use Linux before i touch win10.

Thank you for link though.

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

True, rollup KB3125574 is not really "SP2" for Windows 7 nor was it promoted that way by the issuer.  But it seems to contain a lot more than fixes for the update client.

(emphasis mine)

Yes, that is true.  It was/is a "Rollup" with quite a few fixes.

It's not really needed on an existing Win7 install that has most/all needed updates.  But many Win7 users have found that -- on a fresh Win7 install -- it, together with KB3020369 and KB3172605, resolves the annoying issues with WU client.  There are many threads about that here at bleeping (e.g. here), at sevenforums, and at MS forums.  Oddly, it was omitted from the unique MS KB (KB3200747) issued a few months ago to address the WU problem.

Again, I merely pointed out the misleading reference to "SP2" because it could compromise the computer safety of someone searching for it on the internet who might end up on an unofficial/spoof/malicious/rogue site.

In any event, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. 

Cheers,

MM

#15 ToshibaLaptopUser

ToshibaLaptopUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

In any event, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

No evidence of that yet. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users