Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Drivers causing BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lapsang

Lapsang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Hello there. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out why this keeps happening.

I have a Lenovo E560 laptop that I have been having problems with since I got it. The laptop will blue screen at random times, and based on what I've seen in Blue Screen View, atikmdag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys are always the two files causing problems. I was able to briefly fix the issue by doing a system reformat and holding off on updating drivers, but I did eventually update the drivers for my AMD graphics card and didn't have any issues until now.

The laptop crashed after I unplugged my laptop from it's charger, and I was in the middle of watching a movie. Any other time, it seems to happen randomly. I'm not sure if this is related, but sometimes I receive a "Fan Error" at boot. Could the graphics card itself be having issues unrelated to the drivers installed? There are two graphics cards installed in this laptop as well: one is Intel HD and the other is AMD Radeon. I do not have any issues with the Intel HD. 

I have attached the files required, but please let me know if anything else is needed that can help you diagnose the issue. The way I see it, a laptop that is less than a year old and is primarily only used for college-work shouldn't be behaving like this.

Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

I was able to briefly fix the issue by doing a system reformat and holding off on updating drivers, but I did eventually update the drivers for my AMD graphics card and didn't have any issues until now.

Interesting, i tend to do the same with hard to find problems on a software, Os level too when it gets to that point.

Do you know what the last things are that changed and or were updated/installed in the past week leading up to the problem ?

The windows log viewer might be of help on this topic as well though with the log files you posted that info might be in their as well, i don't look at logs like that my self, not my stile, and i don't like downloading zip files from a forum.

This is helpful as well for the people trying to lend a hand in the forum.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

As for video drivers or any drivers my self i tend not update unless there's a reason to and when it comes to video card drivers newer doesn't mean better, if you had no problems with the old video driver i would have stayed with that version.

Ps good move on the clean safe mode stile install, i often like to do the same then slowly build up the system so that the min the problems back i know what did what, but then you started updating things and the problems back, trick now will be to find out what did what.

And last, yes fan error at boot can't be a good thing, that happen often ?

#3 Lapsang

Lapsang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

The last thing that was installed that could have caused any issues was a DirectX update. I have done a system restore to a point before that update was installed, and so far the laptop doesn't bluescreen when I unplug it from the charger. Haven't tested it with anything else yet.

The fan error happens once about every 10-20 boots or so. Speccy isn't displaying temperatures for my card, which is odd, so I have no idea if the fan isn't working and causing overheating. All I know is that the CPU can get rather hot while doing anything strenuous.

Here is my Speccy snapshot.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/n1BacCQ70FtMdb0blZbqlUT

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

Ya that is odd the ATI card isn't showing temp, and good thing you know its directX so shouldn't be to hard to fix in win7 and sounds like you might have all ready fixed the problem, last i checked in win10 if you have this problem its hell, i know one person that showed up in the forums here never found a fix for their win10/driectX problem and had to do a full reinstall.

As for video drivers newer doesn't mean better that's all i know, if you don't have video problems with driver "X" imho if it ant broke don't fix it.

As for the fan its probably on its way out i would guess, iv have many fan act like that over the years, they have problems spooling up from a cold start and sometimes make some noise, once going they tend to be ok but often can only hole a lower rpm, their like lose on a bearing level.

Well the log viewer guy should show up at some point for this forum thread , lets see what he has to say about your topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users