Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb Question.. Dual Boot USB

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I have 4 16gb Flashdrives. and have split 2 of them in to 2 8gb partitions Gparted shows it as sdb1&sdb2. 

Im trying to install/write two OS's to the drive. one on each partition, then install grub on it.  

i know it can be done i have done it before about 10 years ago. 

I have tried Xboot - Not good outcome. 

i have tried other "tools" that are supposed to do it for you, but they don't work. 

how can i do it manually using command line?

EDIT: forgot to add. I'm on linux mint 18 

Edited by Viper_Security, 06 January 2017 - 02:57 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

I got it. (i used a tool -.-) took a while but it works all 4 OS's are on there.

http://multibootusb.org/ is what i used. 

would still like to know the CLI way though :)

hQBT2G3.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Looks cool Viper, been looking for something like this so I don't have to have 10 freaking usb all with different distro's on them lol.  Wizard mentioned one in the Apps Thread if you didn't see it, don't know if you can install from it though.  This one appears that you can install from it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:16 AM

don't know if you can install from it though

Yes you can, it's called Multisystem, and I'll deal with it where you first asked, friend Punk.

But I think Viper is talking about a full install of 2 Distros on a stick, with Grub governing how they boot.

Is that so, friend Viper?

:wizardball: Wiz

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

don't know if you can install from it though

But I think Viper is talking about a full install of 2 Distros on a stick, with Grub governing how they boot.

Is that so, friend Viper?

Yes, I was unclear about that also Wizard.

Here is a quote from the site though, which sounds like a LiveSession:

"MultiBootUSB is a cross platform software written in python which allows you to install multiple live linux on a USB disk non destructively and option to uninstall distros. Try out the world's first true cross platform multi boot live usb creator for free."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Actually it's both :)   but there is absolutely no rush on figuring ou thow to INSTALL 2+ OS's on a flashdrive.

i hate to use a tool to make my usb have multiple LIVE distro's, but it has worked for now.

my ULTIMATE end goal, would be to to try to install not just write 2+ OS's to a single usbFD, so that way instead of booting a live session every time I'm out, i can use the same OS and save my files. 

(will upload a screen shot of my USB(s) with multiple LIVE distro's soon)

hQBT2G3.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Just install as you would with any other External Drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

@pcpunk:

What you said at #5 pretty well sums up the Live scenario.

I have used it to perform full installs on my computers roughly as follows:

• All the Mints from 17's to current
  • All Ubuntus from 14's to current
  • Vinux for the visually challenged
  • Fedora 23 (now 25) Workstation
  • Ultimate Edition 5
  • Maui
  • LXLE
  • Peach OSI The Works and BB (Bare Bones)
  • AnitX 15/16
  • MX-15/16
  • Debian 8
  • Mageia 5
  • Manjaro
  • Parrot
  • ... and many more - currently have 22 on there

It was hit and miss with OpenMandriva, no joy (so far) with Kali

At  http://liveusb.info/dotclear/index.php?pages/os they have a list of Distros supported, if you use Google it will translate to English for you.

You can see at that link that you can also burn apps and packages such as Acronis, GParted, Clonezilla, HirenBootCD, UltimateBootCD and others.

For two years I was carrying around my first ever USB stick (512MB) with Clonezilla and GParted on it under Multisystem (quite handy), but both those products have grown a little with more recent versions and don't fit into that small a space any more. I still use it when currency does not matter.

The software features a .bat which is for Windows, but I have no means of testing that without a Windows.

Also on what punk said earlier - at pendrivelinux, YUMI have been talking for two years about producing their product for Linux, but in recent months they have put that on the back burner or in the too hard basket. Pity, I wanted to try that.

Multisystem allow for the addition of Persistence of up to 4GB (it is fat32-based) on one of the Distros housed at a time, and I think that works best with Ubuntu-based Distros - it will tell you if it does not support a Distro (yet) and if it does not support Persistence. It is a relatively easy matter to take Persistence off one and put it on another as your needs change.

I can do a Tute on Multisystem with videos if there is interest expressed.

@ The OP:

Viper, I put together for rp88 over here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629629/linux-mint-on-a-usb-stick-can-i-make-system-images-of-it  an 8GB Cruzer with LM 'Rosa' MATE fully installed (which the OP was doing with a larger stick and he wanted to clone or image the Distro to a smaller stick).

Being on only 8 Gig, my stick only has a small amount of space available, as seen in the GParted shot below

qXDzvEr.png

I just performed updates on it this morning before this shot. Note that I have it as EXT4, but if you wished to use it on a Windows unit you would try it with NTFS I expect.

I only have 256 MB Swap on it and it runs as slow as a wet week, but otherwise is quite functional.

If you use it on your home PC/s, you can run an update-grub from the Distro you have at the top (or all of them if you wish and are multibooting) and have it included in your Grub Menu, obviating having to use your startup BIOS keys or restructure your boot order. Illustrated below with a screenshot of the bottom part of my Grub in the study, the stick is at the bottom.

2YK83k8.jpg

If you fully install two or more Distros to the one stick you could choose to adopt a modification of the Grub Later Method, first mentioned by Al1000 at my new Topic here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636657/a-new-years-day-a-new-grub-what-are-the-consequences/

You could literally install one or more without installing Grub, then when you decide which Distro you wish to be on top, make Grub and update it?

I have a 32 Gig stick kicking around, I might try it with a few options.

Hope the above is of assistance.

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Okay so, Here's an Update: 

Green flashdrive (16GB) (Casual Use) Manjaro, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy, PepperMintOS7, LM18.

Purple FlashDrive (16GB) (PenTesting) Kali, Parrot, Matriux-Krypton, CyborgHawk.

Blue FlashDrive (16GB) ( Rescue) KAV-Rescue-Disk10, Trinity(TRK), ChNTPw. EDIT: multibootusb is having issues installing KAV_Rescue-Disk10 and Trinity. 

Red FlashDrive (16GB) (still working on it, might do the 2 full installs on this one) 

Edited by Viper_Security, 09 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Wow Viper, that is seriously full on, lol.

I like your categorisation.

May I ask what burning solution/s you used? I have troubles putting on Kali (but will address that elsewhere when time comes) but had no problem installing Parrot.

Cheers

#11 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Wow Viper, that is seriously full on, lol.

I like your categorisation.

May I ask what burning solution/s you used? I have troubles putting on Kali (but will address that elsewhere when time comes) but had no problem installing Parrot.

Cheers

Will do Wiz, give me a sec to upload some screenies 

hQBT2G3.png

#12 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

4HUzzqw.png

UIDlSaF.png

I'm Using Multibootusb. VIA

sudo apt-get install multibootusb

sudo apt-get install python3-pyqt5 && sudo apt-get install libqt5designer5 (may want to replace pyqt5 and libqt5designers5 to the one it recommends in the CLI)

sudo apt-get install qemu (for testing the USB w/o restarting)

(Still adding OS's to the GREEN one which is pictured in screenie2 )(using the purple one to copy data from a crapped HDD)

Edited by Viper_Security, 09 January 2017 - 06:17 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Aah ... multibootusb - I have had some good experiences with that, haven't got it on board at the moment but might put it back.

Thanks for the input. :thumbup2:

#14 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Tis really helpful.

I'd rather carry 4 Flashdrives with 20 different OS's on them than 20 flashdrives with one OS on it. haha

Edited by Viper_Security, 09 January 2017 - 08:59 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

I'd rather carry 4 Flashdrives with 20 different OS's on them than 20 flashdrives with one OS on it. haha

That's what I do with Mulitsystem, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users