Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access laptop cannot sign in to Microsoft account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Katecas

Katecas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hi,
Please forgive me if I waffle on as I am new to this.
Here goes.....

I bought my young daughter a new laptop for Xmas and set it up for her. All was fine until she came to me saying she cant logon all of a sudden. She had tried to setup a Microsoft acct and had entered an email address that actually isn't even valid. IT doesn't exist!!
I'm amazed that it even let her get that far without it being a valid email??!!
Anyway, now she cannot remember the info she put in and I've been round and round the houses trying to rectify this.
I have filled in a form and it asks for passwords we think she used, a different recovery email (I used mine). Now, once I've done all that it mails me saying it's not enough correct info and the only alternative is to fail in another form, I click the link to the 'other' form and it's EXACTLY the same one over n over.

Please somebody help me and let me know of a way to resolve this. She had this on Xmas day and has only been able to use it twice.
It's on Windows 10 also.

Thanks in advance
Kate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hello and welcome:

Bummer -- I'm sure you both must be frustrated.

Win10 does have a bit of a learning curve.

Disclaimer: I only use a local account on my Win10 box and I do not have a VM.  So, I cannot test this.

But perhaps this might work:

How to reset your password after you're locked out of your Windows 10 account

It was published in May, a few months before the Anniversary Update (v.1607), but I do not think that will matter.

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

{Edit: Typo}

Edited by MoxieMomma, 06 January 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#3 Katecas

Katecas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi Moxie

Thanks for reply, that's exactly what I've been through over n over.
It's not the password that's the issue here.
The problem is that my daughter entered an email address that doesn't even exist. So we have no way of accessing anything to reset a password

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

Do you have a MS Win 10 install disc for your version?

If YES then....

https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/

If NO then.....

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

A couple months ago an individual I know found their self in pretty much the same situation as you. Microsoft was typically unhelpful.

As I already had a Win 10 disc handy, I followed the instructions in the first link above, with success.

If you don't have a Win 10 disc follow the directions in the 2nd link. The article will provide a link to the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Direct access here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You'll need to burn the downloaded Win 10 ISO to a disc, and then return to the first link.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

She had tried to setup a Microsoft acct and had entered an email address that actually isn't even valid. IT doesn't exist!!

I have filled in a form and it asks for passwords we think she used, a different recovery email (I used mine). Now, once I've done all that it mails me saying it's not enough correct info and the only alternative is to fail in another form, I click the link to the 'other' form and it's EXACTLY the same one over n over.

Guess she could play the Microsoft Circle Game again. Sure it will come to same result as before.

Mod Edit

Edited to remove reference to deleted spam

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 07 January 2017 - 02:53 AM.
Mod Edit

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 Katecas

Katecas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

Thanks to everybody who kindly replied trying to help.
Thankfully I have sorted it. I simply had to reset to factory settings and bingo!!

Thanks again.

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Happy to hear it's resolved. Good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users