Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Stuck On Check For Updates Fix?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tomsbc

tomsbc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Hi . My check windows updates screen is stuck. i ran an offline tool to install updates and it said it installed 199 but when i went to installed updates it had 455 in there. but the screen is still saying "check for updates" but when i do it runs for days(two) and nothing. how can i get it back to normal, btw i also days updates never installed even after i looked in it. i need to get the scree back to "no updates available instead of check updates. Thank You Very Much, Tom
ps using windows 7 64bit sp1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi:

You might want to try the method HERE to get WU client up and running.

If this is an existing Win7 install (versus a brand new install), you can skip 3125574 and you should already have IE11.

You just need KB3020369 andKB3172605.

Otherwise that full method *ought* to work, if you follow it exactly.

When you get to Step #3, if Windows complains when you try to stop the WU service after setting it to "manual", just reboot (step #4 and very important).

The reboot will stop the service.

You can then proceed with the other steps.

It looks more complicated than it is.

It will only take a few minutes and few reboots.

WU should work normally after that.

(Also, see MS's own official KB article on this, even though their bare bones instructions do not always work without the added steps to temporarily kill the WU service.  And this post lists some links to other topics here and at other forums, for more cases where this procedure worked to fix the issue.  Here, too.)

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#3 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

ignore this reply i just noticed you said if i get it just reboot and it will stop the service, correct????

i am downloading the installers now, but the last time i ran he installers, they just kept running without end. i will try it again, using your link, but here is what just happened. when i tried to stop the update service after putting it on manual as instructed. it gave this error message #1053. any ideas how to fix this error? Thanks

Edited by tomsbc, 06 January 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hi:

It sounds as if you may have tried the steps in a different order from what is written?

Download the offline installers first and save them, but do NOT try to run them.

Then

Be sure to change the WU applet settings to "never check for updates - not recommended".

Then

Change the WU service to "manual"

Then

When you get to step #3, if you get an error after changing the WU service to manual and trying to stop it, you ought to be able to ignore the error and reboot the computer.

(The behavior has been somewhat variable for this step, but....)

As long as WU is set to "never check" and the WU service is on "manual" AND YOU HAVE REBOOTED, you should be able to run the installers: 3020369 > reboot > 3172605 > reboot.

It may help to print out the instructions for reference as you go.

The basic concept: temporarily killing WU (via both the "applet" and via services) so that you can run the offline installers without WU trying to do things on its own.

Once the 2 patches are installed and you have rebooted again, you bring WU back to life, so that it can check for and download the available patches.

Let us know how it goes,

MM

#5 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Moxie Momma:  You did it for me! it is now back to normal and scanning for updates from the windows update window. Thank You Very Much. what a relief i have been at this for over a week now, i wonder what corrupt the windows update window in the first place. i would like to avoid it in the future if it was anything i did wrong. Thank You Again

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hi:

That's great news. :thumbup2:

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

I'm glad I could help.

Cheers,

MM

#7 elvee230

elvee230

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Thanks so much MM!

I spent two days trying to figure this out before I finally stumbled upon your solution.

I created an account here so that I could offer my sincere thanks!

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hello and welcome:

Thanks so much MM!

I spent two days trying to figure this out before I finally stumbled upon your solution.

I created an account here so that I could offer my sincere thanks!

That's great!

I'm glad that the proposed solution worked for you and that you were able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers.

MM

#9 Steamchief

Steamchief

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Hi:

You might want to try the method HERE to get WU client up and running.

If this is an existing Win7 install (versus a brand new install), you can skip 3125574 and you should already have IE11.

You just need KB3020369 andKB3172605.

Otherwise that full method *ought* to work, if you follow it exactly.

When you get to Step #3, if Windows complains when you try to stop the WU service after setting it to "manual", just reboot (step #4 and very important).

The reboot will stop the service.

You can then proceed with the other steps.

It looks more complicated than it is.

It will only take a few minutes and few reboots.

WU should work normally after that.

(Also, see MS's own official KB article on this, even though their bare bones instructions do not always work without the added steps to temporarily kill the WU service.  And this post lists some links to other topics here and at other forums, for more cases where this procedure worked to fix the issue.  Here, too.)

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

MM,

I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.  Thank you so much.  It appears that my automatic updates ceased right after an update was installed in December of 2015.  I had 51 updates to install to get caught up.  

Thanks,

Steamchief

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hi, @SteamChief:

That's great news.

I'm glad the proposed solution helped you to resolve your issue.

I'm glad I was able to help.

Thanks for taking the time to report your results.

Cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users