Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error while installing software - worked on windows 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AdamPG

AdamPG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

I have a program I'm trying to install from a flash drive (install.exe file) on my Windows 10 computer and I constantly receive this error message shortly after I click yes to allow it to make changes to my computer:

"installation ended prematurely because of an error"

- I've tried to run as admin.
- I've tried all the windows compatibility options and non work
- I've tried some minor registry editing (but I am really unsure how to successfully target registry files)
- I've tried opening the file using command prompt and received an error about expecting to contain an assembly manifest.
- I've downloaded a newer version of this program and it produces the same error, however, I also downloaded an older version and it installed correctly

I've messed around with this for the majority of yesterday and nothing worked. However, once i returned home I threw the flash drive in my other computer at home (windows 8) and the program install worked.

Does anyone know how to make this install on my windows 10 computer? Would this error simply mean it's a compatibility issue (but then why can an even older version of the program install successfully)?

Thank you.

Edited by AdamPG, 06 January 2017 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hello and welcome:

For starters, we could probably better assist you if we knew the NAME (and, if applicable) the VERSION of this software?

Thanks,

MM

#3 AdamPG

AdamPG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

It's a graphing program for statistical data.  Pretty obscure. Sigmaplot v11.  Version 12 also doesn't work, but version 10 does.

Edited by AdamPG, 06 January 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

From Sigmaplot's Support Page

Since the ‘Windows installer Cleanup’ utility to uninstall programs is no longer supported by Microsoft, please use the URL link below to use: “Microsoft Fix It” .

First, click the below link and then scroll down until you see “Run now” and follow the procedure steps. At the dialog prompt for Installation or Uninstallation, proceed with the uninstallation option and just remove SigmaPlot from the application list of software from your client computer. If you choose any other applications, you will lose them as well so please be careful when selecting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Edited by Kilroy, 06 January 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#5 AdamPG

AdamPG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for the direction, Kilroy.  Apparently this is a known issue and the FAQ you referenced contained one specifically for this error and the solution.  It works.  Thanks again, and sorry for my ignorance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users