Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Update Driver - Device Manager Freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The_Codesee

The_Codesee

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to help my friend with a laptop. He has lent it to me so that I can try and fix it.

Recently, he purchased a USB adapter - but it didn't come with the drivers. He has managed to download the drivers from the internet. When he goes into Device Manager, opens the property window of the device and clicks 'update driver' on the driver tab, the window freezes and he has to power down the computer manually.

Is there an alternative way to update the driver, rather than through Device Manager?

Edit: This happens with all devices - it's not just a problem with the USB adapter.

Edited by The_Codesee, 06 January 2017 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

Is the device available in Device Manager when booting to Safe Mode? If not try a clean boot and see if the driver installs. Is this a Wifi dongle. Usually all USB adapters are plug and play. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to the adapter. I'm thinking there is a conflict if Device Manager freezes on any device update.

#3 The_Codesee

The_Codesee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi John,

Yes, the device is available in Safe Mode, but the issue persists when trying to update the driver - the same happens in a clean boot.

An ethernet cable is used (not a dongle), so I don't think the internet connection is the cause of this.

There is no yellow exclamation mark next to the adapter, but in the details box, it says something along the lines of 'there's no drivers installed for the device'.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

It seems like a larger issue with Windows 7 and not the device itself. This is a USB to Ethernet Adapter, correct? Right click the device, select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Does the same problem occur in a new user account?

You could enable the hidden Administrator Account in an elevated command prompt and see if you still get freezes.

net user administrator /active:yes

After trying the account you can make it hidden again with

net user administrator /active:no

If the above does not work then do a sfc /scannow at a command prompt

#5 The_Codesee

The_Codesee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

This is a USB to Ethernet Adapter, correct? 

No no, I think you misunderstood. The adapter is to connect a PS2 controller to the PC. The ethernet cable is used to access the internet (which works fine)

Would you like me to copy the first line in the details tab of the adapter?

Unfortunately the issue happens with the built-in administrator account.

This error is displayed after running SFC: 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them'.

Edited by The_Codesee, 06 January 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

I don't have experience with diagnosing the CBS log but you can run sfc /scannow again. After the run then type the command in this post by BC member dc3 giving you a cbs.txt file. 

I don't have any experience with a PS2 controller to a PC via an adapter. I know an Xbox 360 controller will work on a PC as a plug and play device if looking for a gamepad to use on PC games.

Edit: no need to give me the vendor and device ID. I think the problem corresponds to corrupt files that could not be repaired. The computer may need a repair install with a Windows 7 install disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 January 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#7 The_Codesee

The_Codesee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

The system wouldn't let me upload the cbs log as it was too big, and my browser hanged when trying to paste it... so I've uploaded it to a file sharing site:

http://filedropper.com/cbs_4

If it's not able to be repaired manually, I'll just do a repair install :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

From the log it looks like a lot of problems with the Update agent and opening packages. A lot of files were moved from the WinSxS store. 

The only thing I can recommend before a repair install is to use the Windows 7 update readiness tool. This may fix the errors but I think you are looking at a repair install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users