Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winpfind2 Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hi All
I've downloaded OldTimer's WinPFind2 (v1.0.7) and extracted the files from the zip so that they are all in D:\WinPFind2 folder. When I double-click on winpfind2.exe I get an error message "Error reading MFileExplorer1.Directory: List index out of bounds (0)". If I click on OK, the main screen then opens with an hour glass cursor.
If I then click on Run All Scans (while the cursor is still an hour glass), I get "Access violation at address 0045929F in module 'winpfind2.exe'. Read of address 00000004".
Any clue what's causing these errors?
Thanks
Vino

PS I'm definitely not running winpfind2.exe from the zip file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hello Vino Rosso

Why do you want to run Winpfind2? Do you know how to use this tool and how to read the logs that it generates?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hi quietman7
I'm an UnderGrad over at Malware Removal and have used WinPFind2 on victims' computers. ('KotaGuy posts information at MRU on WinPFind2 from Old Timer, including example logs which I admit I'm still learning to understand.)
I wanted to run WinPFind2 on my own computer to see what the victim sees but get the errors mentioned.
Can you help?
Thanks
Vino

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

Hi Vino. The error is coming from the program not being able to read the contents of the c: drive. Is there anything out of the ordinary regarding the c: drive (how is it formatted, partitioned, the contents etc).

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

Hi OldTimer
Many thanks for your reply.
The C: drive on my PC is a recovery partition of 10 Gig.
Windows (XP Home) and all my programs live on the D: partition which is around 40 Gig.
Winpfind.exe was extracted to a folder on the D: drive (D:\WinPFind2).
Thanks
Vino

#6 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Ok. If the C: partition is not accessible through explorer then that is why. The file browser defaults to the C: drive and if it cannot get to it then it will fault out. Once it does that nothing else will work either.

I was thinking of making some changes to the file browser anyway so maybe in a future verison that will be resolved. For now, WinPFind2 will simply not run on a machine configured like the one you have.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#7 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for explaining and answering my question.

An excellent program - I'll just have to wait for a later version to experience WinPFind for myself!

Cheers
Vino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users