Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting the social media accounts from hacking.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pallindrome

pallindrome

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Hi,

What should I do to protect my social media accounts from being hacked.

I would like to know if there are any software that can help me with that. I access the accounts only through my office and personal computers. I read that strengthening the password can make it difficult for the hackers to crack. https://www.campisilaw.ca/blog/password-safe-might-vulnerable-think/ They have also mentioned a trick like using the first letters of a song or phrase to create a unique random password. 

I am still not convinced if that would be enough.Cause my friend's facebook page was hacked on the New Year's eve. But, it was only a prank. 

Please suggest some ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

Well firstly I'd suggest using 2-step authentication, most social media sites offer that now.

What 2-step does is when someone tries to sign into your account you'll get an email or a text asking for confirmation and most times you can set it to allow certain devices without it constantly pestering you but with new devices it will only allow someone to sign in once you've given confirmation through the email or entered a code which has been emailed/texted to you.

Second thing is make all your passwords long and complex, either get them randomly generated or use something like "Gr33n-F3nc3-1s-Gr33n428*" easiest way to create a password which is near impossible to brute force yet is easy to remember is to make up a sentence which doesn't make sense and replace e's, a's and i's with 3s, @s and 1s. According to https://howsecureismypassword.net/ the password I posted would take 1 Octillion years for a single computer to brute force.

Make sure all passwords are different, if you have a lot of social media accounts, then I would advise purchasing a Password manager such as 1password, there are others out there will just need to shop around find whats cheapest and best for you.

There are free ones http://uk.pcmag.com/password-managers-products/39332/guide/the-best-free-password-managers-of-2017

Some Anti-Virus providers are now providing Password Managers as part of their Products now as well. 

Edited by Steven_M, 06 January 2017 - 06:17 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Password ResourcesAnd as Steven_M says...if a web site offers two-factor (multi factor) authentication you should seriously consider using it as an extra layer of security.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users