Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DB26-pin connector dust plug?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slakciwk

slakciwk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

On the back of my Epson GT-1500 scanner I have a port called ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) and it seems to have 26 pins. I read that the most common are 9/15/25/50 D-sub connectors, but 26-pin (DB26?) does exist, just not as common: https://www.thorlabs.com/images/TabImages/DB26_3_F_500p.jpg

The British serving hardware depot RS have the following product that could fit this port "d-sub,plastic dust cap for std 15/hd 26 contact plug" but I'm utterly confused by the measurements on the data sheets: http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/1233217/dbe15p_northern-technologies.html

The rough (metric) measurements I was able to take were as follows:

• Top length: 2.3cm
• Bottom length: 2cm
• Height: 0.7mm

Now going by the measures on this data sheet: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0d78/0900766b80d78017.pdf it seems that 70524CLF best matches my measurements, so I would need the 70519CLF (the cap) but how come it's not the 25-pin, why the 15-pin?

I am confused!

If you could shed any light I would be grateful thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

I am curious as to why you want to cap this connector.

If you don't have an ADF connected but you want to protect  the plug from dust and so on, how about a piece of sellotape or similar ?  Cheap, easily replaced, easily removed, no doubts about the correct size.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 slakciwk

slakciwk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

I just want to do it properly.

Can you help at all please?

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

The # of pins has no bearing on the fit of the cap. If the outside measurements are the same it should work...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 slakciwk

slakciwk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, I had no idea about that, I thought it was the other way around and the pins dictated the size!

#6 slakciwk

slakciwk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

In the interests of others I can now reveal that I have subsequently learnt that the number of pins has no bearing on the size of the plug, as I first assumed, and that the 26-pin layout fits into a standard DB15 socket. This particular configuration referred to as "DB-HD26" (HD meaning high density) will therefore require the 70524CLF (colour: red) cap from:

I have not tried it out, but will do sometime this year and report back...

Edited by slakciwk, 09 January 2017 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users