Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to get exactly to get power supply to increase

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dancingchickens

Dancingchickens

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

need computer tower power supply to go from 250 to 300 to run new graphics card, what exactly do i need to buy to make it happen?

I am a total noob at this, no clue what to get or do, any help would be helpful. thank you for your time.

Here are the system specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer eMachines
System Model ET1330
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II X2 235e Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI P01-A0, 8/13/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
Total Virtual Memory 14.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.7 GB
Page File Space 9.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2017 - 11:56 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dancingchickens

Dancingchickens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

I am asking this because i got a new graphics card, nvidia geforce 730 for my tower pc and put it into the pci slot, changed the bios settings to run graphics from such pcie, uninstalled the current grapgics card which Nvidia 640 by 480, restarted the pc, then the disc dont work and the nvidia company is telling me its not working because the power supply is too low. so anyone got any ideas? thank you for your time.

#3 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

Simple, need a new power-supply.

However, I'm not familiar with the eMachines brand, a quick Google search isn't that helpful either. Most PSU's will fit into various makes and models of PC but as I can't find much information out online about your make and model I'm unsure.

You can either take a photo of the back of your machine where the power cable goes in so we can have a look and see if we can make out what will fit or you can take it into your local PC repair shop and see what they say. 

Or you could wait and see if someone comes to this thread who knows of the eMachine brand and can enlighten us a bit more. 

#4 Dancingchickens

Dancingchickens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

it is this one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384530,00.asp

The card is perfect in every way for me. I wanted to bump it the power supply up cause my machine is not detecing the card at all, the fan spins and nothing else happens. it is a Gigabyte 2gb GDDRS Nvidia Geforce GT 730 Graphics card PCI 2.0 Express slot edition. I did not see any place to hook up any new wires. but i also dont know what i'm doing. hope that helps you all.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

You need a PSU that has an out put of at least 300W for this graphics card.  If you think you will upgrade your graphics from there in the future I would suggest purchasing a PSU rated at 500W or higher.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 lefthedef

lefthedef

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

i have build a lot of pc's for customers and all of them say the same Phrase: " I want a fast and powerfull PC but cheap "    :)))))))))

this is your case as i see it. so let;s start from the basics. all components of PC are important. one very important component is PSU ...it can save your PC from overvoltage undervoltage overpower underpower etc.

i have seen many fried pcs so my opinion is that you buy something with good quality and probably a little expensive, but don;t forget if you buy a good one you can transfer it to your next Pc Build.

newer gpu requieres more amps (amperes), so it would be a nice thought to buy a psu with a lot of amps on the 12v railing.

Since you say you are new on computers thing of this efficiency is a must on a Psu since it will save you a lot of money from the electric company.

there are a lot of good psus that will save your pc from frying or give the right ac/dc but i will make you some suggestions and you can decide.

1)My favourite and strong one for future upgrada is :

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151159

2) a more affordable and also good one 80+ is

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS, 80+ GOLD 650W  and it is fully modular.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVN20AO?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=site:thus|tid:148392504316039

3) a newer to the game but amazing company with cheap and quality psus is Super Flower

super flower platinum king 550w

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Flower-Platinum-King-550W-80-Plus-Platinum-Power-Supply-Black-/351881231804?hash=item51edc17dbc:g:aOoAAOSwxKtYBWA3

there many good ones also out there but you must be carefull....never buy a psu 800w that costs 30-40 dollars  :wink:

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

You need a PSU that has an out put of at least 300W for this graphics card.  If you think you will upgrade your graphics from there in the future I would suggest purchasing a PSU rated at 500W or higher.

+1 agreed

Though for a basic computer like that you could just get a whatever 500watt that not too cheap if you want to save and you should be ok, just don't buy the $12 500watts kind lol.

Seen some psu that claim 500watts for even less then $12 and i dou't they can even do 50% of rated wattage befor they pop.

something like this would probly do the trick for $50 and its a antec so you know , how bad can it be.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

Edited by shadow_647, 09 January 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

One thing that was touched on very briefly, perhaps too briefly, is a PSU's efficiency.  There is a efficiency rating known as 80 Plus (80 +).  This is applied to PSUs which are at least 80% efficient at a 100%  load, and as high as 90% efficiency at a 100% load.

The chart below shows the different efficiency ratings at their percentage of load figures.

[IMG=http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/carn3s/80_zpstxs3o8fs.png[/IMG]

shadow_647 has suggested a Antec PSU, "how bad could it be"?

The truth is that there are a great deal of PSU manufacturers who purchase PSUs built by other companies and then brand them for their own product.  Antec has banded PSUs made by Channel Well, Enhance, Delta, and Seasonic.  Antec's mainstream PSUs are being manufactured by Delta and Seasonic.  The point here is that you can't go by a manufacturer's good name alone to purchase a good quality PSU. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

The truth is that there are a great deal of PSU manufacturers who purchase PSUs built by other companies and then brand them for their own product.  Antec has banded PSUs made by Channel Well, Enhance, Delta, and Seasonic.  Antec's mainstream PSUs are being manufactured by Delta and Seasonic.  The point here is that you can't go by a manufacturer's good name alone to purchase a good quality PSU.

:(

Ya that's all i did, i didn't do my home work and antec is old school and use to make good stuff from what i remember so i just saw "antec" 450watt and i was like how bad can it be,at the same time its selling for $50 and iv seen as low as $8 for a no-name 500Watt psu.

Didn't know antec was rebaging stuff all over the place, that's depressing.

Guess its true that they just don't make em like they use to in 2017

I would disagree with the brand name topic though, fly by night company's tend to change names all over the place because they don't want to be remember for what they make, people that have bin doing it for a long time with the same name its the other way around and if they start pumping out trash they will get slammed for it all over the net in every forum and every internet hardware review site.

Edited by shadow_647, 09 January 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

I hate to break this to you, but this is something that has been going on for as far back as I can remember.  A lot of the major PSU manufacturers only produce their top of the line products and brand other manufacturer's products for their less expensive lines.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Good to know, sadly i stopped doing hardware research for some time after i got hardcore hacked and changed from hardware researched to network and computer security research about 6 years about, iv lost the touch when it comes to hardware some but for psu this use to be my go to spot back in the day for psu reviews, guy douse a really good job with his psu teardowns, he takes all psu to parts in the review, full load testing ripple check you name it.

Good thing the place runs with out java-script cus this place use to be clean, now its advertising spam everywhere i look on this hardware review site sadly, still good reviews.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/category/power/

#12 lefthedef

lefthedef

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

what it is important here is to make people understand that a Cpu or gpu alone does not do the trick !!!

people don;t care much about Psu or even motherboard especially when they think tha they can built a PC.

The most important part of a computer for speed etc  is motherboard.

2nd most important for speed CPU   BUT....

if u want them to run smoothly and to be protected you MUST buy a quality PSU !!!!

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Agreed

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

what it is important here is to make people understand that a Cpu or gpu alone does not do the trick !!!

people don;t care much about Psu or even motherboard especially when they think tha they can built a PC.

The most important part of a computer for speed etc  is motherboard.

2nd most important for speed CPU   BUT....

if u want them to run smoothly and to be protected you MUST buy a quality PSU !!!!

There is no single "trick".  You choose the components you need to build a computer for what you intend to use it for.  The CPU should be chosen first, then choose the GPU.  GPUs that will be capable of SLI or Crossfire will be larger which will need more space between the card and other dedicated cards so that there is adequate circulation to keep the GPU cool.  With these components chosen it's time to decide how large of a case to you need.  Once you know the size of the case you will know what ATX motherboard will work in this case.  RAM will need to be chosen now.  Withe the motherboard chosen you will know what options you have for multichannel RAM.  The bottle neck between the CPU and the RAM can be reduced by using multiple channel.  This can double, triple, or quadruple the RAM's throughput speed.  Other than the possible peripheral devices you have your basic components and should have a good idea of what you are going to need for a PSU.  Always purchase a PSU that is going to have more wattage than what you are going to need, more wattage is always better than too little wattage. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users