Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Citrix conflict with IP addresses.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

One employee and myself use the same credentials to log in and complete payroll. I work on the business property, the other employee works from home using the Citrix environment to be able to connect to the business payroll software. The employee at home clocked someone in manually; however, the IP address for that entry shows as mine. I did not make the entry so how is my IP address being identified as the entry location?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

Do you have a fixed IP address, or are you using DHCP? With DHCP, IP addresses aren't necessarily "fixed", so if you haven't been assigned that IP address, DHCP is free to offer it to another computer.

If you do have a fixed address, then someone needs to check the settings for your Citrix environment and make sure that IP address isn't being used by remote users.

#3 TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I am not sure. My thought was that possibly that I logged in first and that when she logged in after me and made the entry it grabbed onto my IP first..?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

I doubt that's what happened. Citrix should have used her IP address; again, if you don't have a static address, DHCP could have assigned that IP address to her when she logged on.

#5 TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

I looked up DHCP and the way it is described makes it seem as though the IP addresses are randomly assigned. Are the IP addresses completely random or are they assigned from available IP addresses within the corporation's known IP addresses?

#6 TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

I was told that my IP address was identified as the one logging in the entry, but that a residential WiFi was being used which is what may be confusing our IT staff. I absolutely did not make this entry.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

DHCP uses a set range of IPs. It's possible the WiFi router uses the same addresses, but I would expect the IP address that shows up would be the public IP address, not the address supplied by the router.

#8 TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

I appreciate your replies very much. I am just so confused. I know some, but simply not enough to solve this riddle. I am so frustrated because my integrity is so important to me. The other employee is married to the person that was logged in on a day not worked. The log out has already been definitely identified as being done in the home by using Citrix. I just want to find a feasible reason that my IP got mixed up in this. Thanks again for your time :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users