Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working properly on Windows 8.1 laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yulzcoresux

yulzcoresux

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

I’m facing an issue with my laptop’s USB ports since a week ago. The issue started after connecting a generic USB Hub (one of those Chinese Hubs, with 10 ports powered by an electric supply), apparently the operating system (Windows 8.1) didn’t installed the properly drivers for the USB Hub causing a misbehave of the ports. The laptop has 3 ports, 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0, the 2.0 ports can detect some USB drives but others don’t (I have tested 8 different USB drives, all of them work fine in another computer) while the 3.0 port doesn’t work at all (doesn’t recognize anything). However, all the USB ports can detect the USB Hub that caused the problem even the 3.0 port, so I believe it’s not a hardware problem.

What I have tried for fix this is using Windows system restoration, uninstalling all root USB hubs on Device Manager, formatting the laptop (reinstalling Windows), clear the CMOS (from the BIOS), performing a hard reset of the laptop (using this guide: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768) , running a drive cleanup using this tool: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html#devicecleanup and running the WinUSB tool provided by Microsoft, none of these has fixed the problem.

I have tried running Linux (Ubuntu) for diagnostic purposes, however the BIOS doesn’t detect any USB drives in the Boot Device Options and using a Live CD (in a DVD) won’t work neither, I don’t know what is causing this issue.

Is there a way to reset all the drivers to factory state or at least uninstalling those from the Chinese USB Hub? I have no plans anymore of using that Hub but I want to fix the USB ports before getting rid of it.

Laptop info:

Model: HP Notebook 14-y002la

Processor: Intel Celeron N2840 (2.15 GHz)

Board: Hewlett-Packard 8090 06.16

BIOS: Insyde version F.03 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

From what I have read these cheap hubs can break USB ports. 

What version of Ubuntu did you try to boot. On a HP computer you can tap Esc at boot then F9 for a boot menu. Select Legacy or CSM boot.

When you used the Device Cleanup tool did you use the command line version? See the readme file. User the Asterisk option to delete all non-present devices. This will delete all  non-present devices. Have you tried USBdeview for detecting the USB hub driver?

If you still have a problem with the Ubuntu disk use Fatdog64 with a USB created with Rufus. Fatdog64 has the ability to boot from a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled. Fatdog64-710.iso

Are there any yellow exclamation points next your devices in Device Manager?

This would be my last option. If you open Device Manager and then attach your USB hub it should show a new device on the tree. Right click the new entry, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Remove the hub. Using the command prompt version or device cleanup you can specifically remove a device using the Vendor ID. See the Readme in the zip file.

#3 yulzcoresux

yulzcoresux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

From what I have read these cheap hubs can break USB ports. 

What version of Ubuntu did you try to boot. On a HP computer you can tap Esc at boot then F9 for a boot menu. Select Legacy or CSM boot.

When you used the Device Cleanup tool did you use the command line version? See the readme file. User the Asterisk option to delete all non-present devices. This will delete all  non-present devices. Have you tried USBdeview for detecting the USB hub driver?

If you still have a problem with the Ubuntu disk use Fatdog64 with a USB created with Rufus. Fatdog64 has the ability to boot from a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled. Fatdog64-710.iso

Are there any yellow exclamation points next your devices in Device Manager?

This would be my last option. If you open Device Manager and then attach your USB hub it should show a new device on the tree. Right click the new entry, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Remove the hub. Using the command prompt version or device cleanup you can specifically remove a device using the Vendor ID. See the Readme in the zip file.

I’m trying to boot Ubuntu 16.10, the ISO file is fine according to md5 checksum, I used Rufus to flash the USB. Do I need to enable Legacy boot in the BIOS? Before this issue I didn’t have to for booting any Linux distro, would it make a difference?

Yes, I used the command line version of Device Cleanup, tried twice with the asterisk option, I’ll send you the log output.

Here’s the report generated by USBdeview. It shows a “Device Descriptor Request Failed” error in a USB device I just plugged in (the Kingston USB device). The rest are the other USB devices that also appear in the Device Manager. I’ll connect the USB hub and send you the new report.

I’m also downloading Fatdog64, once it finished I’ll flash it to a USB and try to boot it.

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

Ubuntu should have booted but I am not sure it can boot with SecureBoot enabled. I do know that it will boot if you select Legacy or CSM boot. Does the computer have a DVD drive to boot from? Make sure the USB flash drive of Ubuntu is connected to the USB 2 port when booting.

If Ubuntu does not work then try Fatdog. If you have problems with USB on either then I think this is a hardware problem.

You covered pretty much every troubleshooting option including deleting all the root hubs. I don't see anything that would indicate a HUB in the drivecleanup log.

USB devices are located in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB. Looking at the Vendor ID may indicate which is your HUB. 

#5 yulzcoresux

yulzcoresux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:36 AM

Ubuntu should have booted but I am not sure it can boot with SecureBoot enabled. I do know that it will boot if you select Legacy or CSM boot. Does the computer have a DVD drive to boot from? Make sure the USB flash drive of Ubuntu is connected to the USB 2 port when booting.

If Ubuntu does not work then try Fatdog. If you have problems with USB on either then I think this is a hardware problem.

You covered pretty much every troubleshooting option including deleting all the root hubs. I don't see anything that would indicate a HUB in the drivecleanup log.

USB devices are located in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB. Looking at the Vendor ID may indicate which is your HUB. 

Ok, I disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Boot on BIOS, downloaded Fatdog and flashed it to a USB using Rufus 2.9 (DD-image mode), and booted from the Boot Device Options, this time it detected the USB drive but failed to boot Fatdog Linux (displays a “CHS: Error 8001 reading sector 732974” error). What I noticed is that is taking longer than usual to boot the Linux environment so I believe the USB port is not giving enough power to the USB drive.

I do have a DVD drive, I managed to boot Ubuntu from a Live CD since the USB won’t let me do it, so I could tested the USB ports, but it’s the same behavior that in Windows, some USB drives works others don’t, the 3.0 port doesn’t work at all.

I also found the VID and PID of the USB Hub using USBdeview, it was successfully deleted using the Device Cleanup tool, but the problem persists.

So I’m starting to think that a hardware related problem is more likely, since the USB do work but not in the way that they should, do you have a reference text of your first statement, about how these cheap USB hubs can break USB ports? I would like to understand what exactly happened to my laptop hardware.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,028 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

As far as the cheap USB hubs that was a long time ago and if I can remember it was in the reviews of the device. 

I did find this blog which details out the dangers of cheap hubs.

A thread that has some good comments.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 January 2017 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users