Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Changing hard drive format.

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 avonderh


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

I have a hard drive that has been removed from an external drive case that plugs into the USB port.  I cannot use the drive as an internal system drive because the format is fixed length records.  Is there any way to change this format.  I used the following LINUX command to find the differences by comparing the old internal drive to the other drive I want to use. hdparm -i /dev/sdX, where x = a or b to select the drive.  Drive b config={ Fixed }   Drive a config= { HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 JohnC_21


  • Members
  • 24,854 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

I have never come across this error. If the drive is from a WD enclosure they are known to encrypt the drive contents but you should still be able for format the disk. WD's use proprietary USB bridge cards.


What linux distro are you using. If you are using a live linux disk you should have Gparted. Using it you should be able to create a new partition table then create a new partition and format.


There is also the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Using it you can zero wipe the drive then create a new partition


If this is a secondary disk on a Windows computer you can accomplish the same results with Partition Wizard for Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users