Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wierd file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bassinbob54

bassinbob54

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Dell inspiron 15 windows 10 ..today on my desktop appeared a file that says "this directory is here to protect you. Simply leave it here. Anyone know anything this file? I looked for file location but cant find it, Don't know if I should leave it or not? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

If I were you I would look at Control Panel -> Programs and Features and rank the list of installed programs by Date (click on "Install On" tab) to see what was installed recently that you are not aware of, check the Startup tab under Task Manager to see any new and unknown startup programs/files there. And as a pre-caution run Malware-bytes scan.

#3 bassinbob54

bassinbob54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

thanks for your repley..thers nothing new in task manger or startup...Iran malwarebytes and came up clean..even ran roguekiller but it found nothing. Also nothing new in programs and features..doesnt look like anything unwanted i just wonder why its there and if i should delete it or not.

#4 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

Is it possible that maybe someone around you is playing games?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

When you right-click on the file and select properties what does it say is the location?

You may need to ''show hidden files and folders'' to find the location shown on the file.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9168-hidden-files-folders-drives-show-windows-10-a.html

#6 bassinbob54

bassinbob54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

I checked under hidden files and found it but I don't know if I should delete it or not. There is no imformation about this file that I can find. When I right clicked on it says the location is desktop.

Edited by bassinbob54, 06 January 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

What type of file is it?

#8 bassinbob54

bassinbob54
  • Topic Starter

• Members