Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Won't Recognize External Hd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorWho

DoctorWho

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Hello, everyone--

Just got my new computer (win XP with SP2) up and running, and would like to transfer to it files from the HD out of my deceased computer (Win XP SP1). I set this old disk up as an external HD: I re-jumpered it from CS to MASTER, and installed it into the case that came with the IDE-to-USB2.0 adapter kit I bought (it has its own power supply).

Problem is, this device is advertised as plug-and-play (no installation CD supplied), but my computer won't recognize it when I plug it in!

This external HD does not appear in Device Manager or in My Computer. Connecting it does not make the "Found New Hardware" balloon pop up, although the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" does appear.

I uninstalled all USB devices using Device Manager, and rebooted; they all reinstalled perfectly. Didn't help.

I've read every applicable post in this Forum, but I'm still stuck. I'd appreciate any ideas on what to try next!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

A couple of thoughts:

Are you SURE you have the jumper setting correct?

Have you tried rebooting the computer with the hard drive plugged in to the computer?

Have you tried to force Windows to install the hard drive? Plug in the external hard drive, go to: Start > Control Panel. Make sure you are in Classic View and not Category View- look in the left hand column for this. Then double click on Add Hardware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 DoctorWho

DoctorWho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

Thanks muchly for the welcome and for your advice!

Your point about the jumper raised doubts in my mind, too, so I removed the HD from its case, pulled/reinstalled the jumper (turned out I'd gotten it right the first time), and carefully pulled/replugged the IDE ribbon cable to the HD.

After I reassembled it and reconnected the USB cable to my computer, the setup immediately started working :thumbsup:

My guess is, the IDE ribbon's connector was not well seated in the back of the HD (the ribbon gets very scrunched up when the HD is in place, and so has enough tension to pull out a partially plugged-in connector). Hope this experience helps somebody else down the road.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Glad to hear the issue is resolved!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users