Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi and Ethernet connected but internet not working

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

I have been following this following post because I have pretty much the same issue.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636399/wifi-connected-but-internet-not-workingextremely-slow-on-one-computer/

I have been through all of the steps that the original poster did in terms of flushdns, winsock fix, etc. etc. but also have not had any success.

I have downloaded most of the utilities that InadequateInfirmity

had the original poster do but need someone to interpret the results.

Some points to note

My technical level is High

I have no internet on either wireless or ethernet connections.

I can see the laptop on the network from my router.

Other computers and devices are working on the same router.

I am getting an IP address on the ethernet connection but not the wireless.

I cannot Ping anything

I have performed malware and virus scans

Does not work in safe mode either.

Norton 360 was installed and I uninstalled it with the Norton Removal Tool.

I updated the driver for the ethernet. The driver for the wireless is for Windows 8.1

running Windows 10 Anniv Edition

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge base!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

1. Simple question - have you tried to use Troubleshooter (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center) to see if it will reset the networking setup? I saw all the suggestions and tools being used but not the troubleshooter.
2. "Private Internet Access Support Files" - is this your VPN application?

#3 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

I tried the Troubleshooter and it just came back with The adapter (s)does not have a valid IP address.

I don't know where you got the info about question 2. I sometimes use Opera which does set up a VPN but

all other devices on the network work fine. What caused the question?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

If you have the Anniversary edition consider a Network Reset.

Last option on this page.

People have reported issues with Windows 10 ipv6 protocol and disabling it helped. Also If using Wifi or Ethernet the other adapter should be disabled in Device Manager as Windows 10 has issues when both LAN and Wifi are enabled.

I am ready to throw in the towel on all these Windows 10 connection issues. 

#5 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

I think I saw "Private Internet Access Support Files" listed as installed on your computer in the log you provided.

#6 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

nikkoTX

I haven't posted any logs yet.

#7 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

oops, sorry - I thought it was your post.

#8 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

JohnC_21

I tried the Network Reset as you suggested. It made no difference.

I disabled IPv6 on both adapters - no change. I disabled the wireless adapter leaving the ethernet alone and still no internet

As far as Windows 10 having trouble when both adapters are active, I've never seen or heard that but I did try.

Edited by NewBernTech, 06 January 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#9 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

Try to use Windows Repair All-in-one package from this very site:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

It should correct your issues.

Edited by nikkoTX, 06 January 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Did all this start with an update to Windows 10? You could rule out a hardware problem by booting a live linux disk. For diagnostic purposes on a Windows 8 or 10 computer you can either use Ubuntu, Mint, or a smaller distro like Fatdog64, Burn the iso and boot the disk. Fatdog can boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled.

Fatdog64

Fatdog64-710.iso

If Ethernet works on Fatdog then you may need to do a Reset in Windows 10 with the option to keep files but all programs would need to be reinstalled.

nikkoTX's suggestion of Windows Repair is a good one.

#11 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Windows All in One Repair (Tweeking.com) did not repair the problem. It was run in Safe Mode as recommended.

Don't know when this issue started because it is not my laptop. I've seen several Windows 10 machines

that have lost wireless due to the bad Windows Update the MS has since repaired. I have been able to get

the others working pretty easily and the ethernet was working on them. Not on this one.

This is an Asus Ultrabook and it does not have a DVD drive. I used an external USB DVD drive but

have been unable to get BIOS to see it so it won't boot from it.

I have Linux Mint on a USB and it boots to that drive, asks which version I want to use but never continues.

I agree it could be a hardware issue but seems unlikely when I can see the laptop connected from my router.

The wireless shows connected as does the ethernet. The ethernet gets an IP address.

No one has asked for any logs like InadequateInfirmity

did while helping the other person whit the same (almost) issue. Is anyone out there that can review logs?

It would seem that the logs from the various tools would be helpfull.

UPDATE
I did attempt to Reset Windows but it says there was a problem and no changes were made.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

I would post your logs in the Networking Forum with a reference to this thread. I am not sure what you mean by asking which version of Mint to use. I do know that using Fatdog and Rufus allows it to boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled.

#13 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

When I attempted to boot Mint, it asked if I wanted the to 64 bit or 64 bit (compatibility mode) then went to a black screen. I used the same USB stick on another computer and it booted to a graphical boot option screen.

I guess I try to take this to the Networking Forum as suggested. I will come back and post a link to that question so that if anyone starts reading this they will at lease see the conclusion.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

I was looking at your Networking thread and saw post #14.  Your first post in this thread noted you are still using a 8.1 driver for the Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

I may be able to find a Windows 10 driver for this chipset but can you verify the chipset vendor and device ID? Right click the Wifi Adapter in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

#15 NewBernTech

NewBernTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_12371A3B&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_12371A3B

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_0280