Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart: Driver Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anp56

Anp56

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hi all

My lady friend in Canada is running Win 8. Prior to having a new hard drive fitted, she was getting a message that said: Restart to repair driver errors. After 2 months with a new hard drive fitted, all was ok. Now she is getting the same message again. I'm wondering if a new hard drive was actually fitted. She paid 265 Canadian dollars. Is this extortionate?  Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Les

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

If the computer is an OEM and was originally installed with Windows 8 then $265 CDN seems excessive. Even if the computer did not come pre-installed there is a good chance the key could be recovered from the bad hard drive.

A 1TB drive can be had for about $50US and Windows 8.1 install media can be had by downloading and running the Media Creation Tool for free.

Any OEM computer with Windows 8 or 8.1 installed has the key embedded in firmware. Windows 8 would auto activate once online.

What is the make and model of the computer? You can verify if the key is embedded in firmware using FIrmwareTablesView. If the key is in the MSDM table then the most she should have paid would be $50US plus labor. Some notebook or all in one computers require more labor to remove the drive but I can't fathom $265.

Download Gsmartcontrol. Run the program and under the Attributes tab look for Power On Hours and check it to how long your friend has used the computer with the new drive. You can also run the short/long tests to check the drive for failure.

Look in Event Viewer for any hints for what is causing the driver issue.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#3 Anp56

Anp56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hi John.

Thank you for your reply.

I always thought 265 dollars was excessive. I understand what you are saying but, to try and explain that to my lady friend is a big no no..lol.  She is not at all pc literate. Her answer is to buy a new tower, especially after i just read your reply to her! And the guy sold her a years subscription to Norton!

Cheers

Les

Edited by Anp56, 05 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Your Welcome,

I would have your friend look for a different shop, At least to get a second quote on computer repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users