Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory reset running windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 watson-97

watson-97

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Hello,
I have a toshiba laptop running windows 10. I beleive I have gotten a virus and now when i attempt to use the internet my browsers display an error message stating the connection is insecure. I have been attempting to find and resolve the problem at the advice of the Mozilla support forums to no avail and now want to do a full reset of my computer.

I am unfamiliar with the process and would appreciate some guidance, i have attempted to do the reset using windows reset option but receive a message stateing the reset has failed and no files have been changed. I then attempted to do the reset through the command prompt while running in safe mode but when i enter the line 'software software.001' i receive a message that states that the file is in use by another process.

Any advice as to how to get around this problem and successfully reset my laptop is much appreciated. Additionally if you know a way i could possibly dig this virus out without the reset that would be great but i am more interested in doing the reset at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

What's the model # of your Toshiba?

Edited by nikkoTX, 05 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Are you sure the date/time is right on the laptop? You also get that in browsers with out of sync date/times.

#4 watson-97

watson-97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I will get the model number as soon as i can.

It is possible it if wrong but i think it should be correct. After checking the certificates when the connections are insecure i am pretty sure it is a virus of some kind as the certificates look incorrect.

#5 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

The reason I asked about the model # is some of them have different way of restoring the OS to default. Some can be done independently from win 10, some have a configured into win10 reset options, some can create recovery media, etc..

#6 watson-97

watson-97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

The system model is 'sattalite S50-B' is this the number you need or is it something else?

#7 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Copy your valuable files off the hard drive first, like to USB flash drive. Then follow the steps from user guide for Toshiba Satellite S50:

Restore while booting the computer:

1. Click the power icon (  ) on the Start screen and then select Restart.

2. Hold down 0 (zero) key and then release this key one second after the computer is power on. Choose Yes if you want to continue.

3. Select Troubleshoot.

4. Select Reset your PC.

5. Follow the on screen instructions to finish the recovery.

You can also perform the restoration through PC settings in the operating system:

1. Click the Settings charm and click Change PC settings.

2. Click Update and recovery under PC settings and then click Recovery.

3. Click Get started under Remove everything and reinstall Windows.

4. Follow the on screen instructions to finish the recovery

Edited by nikkoTX, 05 January 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#8 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

Steps described above are good if you still have "hidden" recovery partition from the manufacturer. Another alternative is to create a bootable media by floowing these simple steps:

1. Insert the first blank disc into the optical disc drive tray, or insert the USB Flash Memory into one available USB port.
2. Click Desktop Assist -> Support & Recovery -> Recovery Media Creator on the desktop.

3. After Recovery Media Creator starts, select the type of media and the title you wish to copy, and then click the Create button.

#9 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Here is the link: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=4010388&isFromTOCLink=false

#10 watson-97

watson-97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

I have both a partition and external media copy. I have tried to reset through the settings and was told there was an error during reset and no files have been changed. I then followed the steps given in the manual and I enter a loop in which the computer boots then asks me for my keyboard layout then for my recovery media. I select the usd drive option as my recovery media is on USB then the system boots again and begins the cycle again.

How can i get the system to successfully reset?

#11 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Read the User's manual page 5-21

Restoring the pre-installed software from your created Recovery Media If the pre-installed files are damaged, you are able to use the Recovery Media you have created to restore the computer to the state it was in when you originally received it. To perform this restoration, follow the steps below: When you reinstall the Windows operating system, the hard disk will be reformatted and all data will be lost.

Please make sure that the Boot Speed is set to Normal. (To access it, click Desktop Assist -> Tools & Utilities -> System Settings -> Boot Options on the desktop.)

Please make sure to use the default Boot Mode option in the BIOS setup utility before restoring.

1. Click the power icon (  ) on the Start screen and then select Restart.

2. Hold down the F2 key and then release this key one second after the computer is power on - the BIOS setup utility will load.

3. In the BIOS setup screen, select Advanced -> System Configuration -> Boot Mode. Note:Please skip the following contents if you cannot find the Boot Mode option in your system.

4. Select UEFI Boot (Default). If you set the Boot Mode as CSM Boot, the recovery media created by Recovery Media Creator will NOT be able to restore.

If you create a recovery image using advanced recovery tools from Control Panel, please also make sure to use the default Boot Mode option (UEFI Boot) in the BIOS setup utility before restoring.
1. Load the Recovery Media into the Optical Disc Drive or insert the recovery USB Flash Memory into one available USB port.

2. Click the power icon ( ) on the Start screen and then select Restart.

3. Hold down the F12 key and then release this key one second after the computer is power on.
4. Use the up and down cursor key to select the appropriate option from the menu according to your actual recovery media.

5. A menu will be displayed from which you should follow the on-screen instructions.

#12 watson-97

watson-97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Yes i followed those and was initially unsuccessful.
The on screen instructions were very unclear and i was stuck in a loop. I have since resolved the problem and the system is now recovering.

#13 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Great, congratulations! I bet the booting order was not set to boot USB stick first:)

#14 watson-97

watson-97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Okay so i was successful in the system reset however I have since encountered a new problem. My reset puts me back to windows 8.1 so i went to the Microsoft website to redownload my windows 10. The initial process seems fine and the computer restarts a couple of times successfully during the instal process however on what I believe is the third restart the computer boots and displays a black screen with 'Toshiba leading innovation' written across it. This is normal however usually a small loading indicator appears within a few seconds and the computer moves past the screen a moment later however this is not happening. The computer seems to be completely frozen on the Toshiba screen and i am unsure of how to unfreeze the update. I have already forced another full reset once assuming the problem was a glitch but i am ow frozen again on the same screen. The first time the computer sat at this screen for about an hour. It has been stuck here now for roughly 20 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users