Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD loop after installing antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 U_GotPwnd

U_GotPwnd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

After installing AVG Antivirus my PC(custom built a few days ago ago and working fine until a couple minutes after installing AVG) blue screened and started blue screen looping. I called Microsoft and they had me reinstall windows 10. This didn't solve the issue and they recommended I take it into a Microsoft store.

I would love some information on how simply installing this antivirus could cause this.

The PC will even blue screen on a Windows boot drive and no other storage connected. If I do take it to a Microsoft store,does anyone know what they would test it for?

The windows error is ATTEMPT TO WRITE READONLY MEMORY

Thank you for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U_GotPwnd

U_GotPwnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

It will also occasionally give me "Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart. stop code: 0xc000021a"

#3 U_GotPwnd

U_GotPwnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

After somebody on another forum suggested running memtest86, it seems the RAM is faulty and I will be RMAing it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Glad that you were able to sort it out.

If you need further assistance, feel free to post back - I'll be notified of your response by email.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 U_GotPwnd

U_GotPwnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Well, the new RAM got here today. I installed it and it still gives me errors in Memtest, I still can't boot windows.

This has to be a problem with something else then, should I maybe try uninstalling the graphics card and running prime95 to see if it's a CPU issue?

Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

Prime95 tests 3 things:  RAM, CPU cache, and the memory controller (either on the CPU or on the motherboard - it depends on your CPU model)

The Blend test is mostly used to test RAM.  The other tests are less specific, but failures in either tend to make me suspect the 3 items listed above.

If you're still getting errors in MemTest, the first thing to do is to test (with MemTest) each stick individually in the first slot (if you still have the old RAM - test both the old and the new)

If all fail, then try each in the 2nd slot, etc  Make sure that you use good anti-static precautions.

Once you find a stick that passes (at least 3 passes are required), then test that stick in each of the slots.

This will tell you which slots are bad and which aren't.

If all the slots fail all the sticks, then you likely have a problem with the motherboard.
While a CPU problem is possible - it's less likely than a problem with the motherboard.

Edited by usasma, 22 January 2017 - 08:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 U_GotPwnd

U_GotPwnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I actually took the entire PC into a repair shop last night and they are going to look at it and let me know what's going on. I finished this rig like two weeks ago and I'm kind of tired of dealing with it.

Thanks for your help though. I actually did test the sticks individually in different slots, with and without the GPU installed even. It's most likely the motherboard which I purchased from the shop I took the PC into.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users