Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help with upgrading my computer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 victorkoel

victorkoel

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hello there,

I recently bought this new 'gaming' computer but I'm not getting the performance I expected. I also don't know alot about hardware so that's why I'm here. I want to upgrade my computer but I just don't know which of my current parts could do alot better. I'll write down my current computer parts below here.

-Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

-Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

-RAM: 8GB

As I before, I don't know alot about hardware so maybe I forgot to mention some parts. Well, I hope you could help me figure out which part would make a lot of difference performance wise. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Power supply? Case?

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

Dousen't look like bad hardware for new games, my self being me though i would probly go max cooling on that setup & overclock and tweak game settings for max fps, i don't cair my self about eye candy if it comes with out fps, why i don't like LCD screens too, most iv seen can't even do 45 fps.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Dousen't look like bad hardware for new games, my self being me though i would probly go max cooling on that setup & overclock and tweak game settings for max fps, i don't cair my self about eye candy if it comes with out fps, why i don't like LCD screens too, most iv seen can't even do 45 fps.

GTX 650 is somewhere around low - mid range in terms of GPU. It's still an OK bit of kit and it's not hugely underpowered yet but it depends on what games OP is playing.

@OP Your CPU and RAM are fine but the GPU could use a bit of a boost. We do need to know what your PSU and Case are though

Follow this:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help, here is a list of my hardware.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xPCkStgoBkuDsmfIys4L56d  

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the help, here is a list of my hardware.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xPCkStgoBkuDsmfIys4L56d

You could probably add another 8 GB stick of RAM to get a dual channel set up but the performance isn't incredibly noticeable. The biggest difference will be the GPU as CPU is already pretty good. Your GPU handles all the 3D applications on your system. Since you're running at a 1080p display, for a high end graphics for this, you would spend around £200 - £300 (which is quite a bit for 1080p in my opinion) but most people will spend around £100 - £200. Something like an RX 460 will be much better than that GTX 650 and should play pretty much any game at 1080p at around medium to high graphics for the demanding games and high to ultra for less so.

To continue, what is your budget and what games do you usually play (or even plan to play).

#7 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

I am currently thinking about something between €100 and €200. Arma 3 would be the game I play the most. I know that getting good fps in this game is even hard for a high end gaming setup but I am currently playing on minimum settings with about 30 fps. So my game doesn't look very realistic but increasing the settings will result in fps below 20. I also play games like world of tanks on medium settings, I am getting about 30 fps on these games to. I don't really play games like battlefield and COD because I have these games on my PS4. These are currently the games I am playing and I am not sure which games I will add to this list. The next thing may sound a bit cheap but am I able to sell the GTX 650 in case I buy a new graphics card? Not sure if it's still worth some money.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

I am currently thinking about something between €100 and €200. Arma 3 would be the game I play the most. I know that getting good fps in this game is even hard for a high end gaming setup but I am currently playing on minimum settings with about 30 fps. So my game doesn't look very realistic but increasing the settings will result in fps below 20. I also play games like world of tanks on medium settings, I am getting about 30 fps on these games to. I don't really play games like battlefield and COD because I have these games on my PS4. These are currently the games I am playing and I am not sure which games I will add to this list. The next thing may sound a bit cheap but am I able to sell the GTX 650 in case I buy a new graphics card? Not sure if it's still worth some money.

World of tanks and Arma 3 both suck technically. While mentioned AMD RX 460 is good upgrade, those games are simply crap. So it's hard to say if that upgrade is worth money. You'll probably be disappointed when playing those games with new card.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 06 January 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#9 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

World of tanks and Arma 3 both suck technically. While mentioned AMD RX 460 is good upgrade, those games are simply crap. So it's hard to say if that upgrade is worth money. You'll probably be disappointed when playing those games with new card.

Yes I heard this from alot of people, Arma 3 sucks performance wise. But I still know I could gain some performance upgrading my graphics card. I've played battlefield 4 once on my computer but the performance was very bad, I also couldn't play the game with some decent graphics. My goal is just to make my games look better, I can still play with 30 fps because I'm used to it now.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

OK, then RX 460 sounds like good investment.

#11 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

I'm playing mostly on maximum graphics with a 750 Ti on World Of Tanks. An RX 460 would easily be able to max it out.

For 100 - 200 euros, it would probably be between an RX 460 and a 1050 Ti after having a quick look. The RX 460 looks to be better value but is 20 - 30% slower than the 1050 Ti which is more expensive. Do a bit of research on this but both of the GPU's should be a decent add on to your setup

Edited by Planemaster2, 06 January 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#12 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

I'm playing mostly on maximum graphics with a 750 Ti on World Of Tanks. An RX 460 would easily be able to max it out.

For 100 - 200 euros, it would probably be between an RX 460 and a 1050 Ti after having a quick look. The RX 460 looks to be better value but is 20 - 30% slower than the 1050 Ti which is more expensive. Do a bit of research on this but both of the GPU's should be a decent add on to your setup

Ok. Thanks for the help. I actually don't know alot about which things make a graphics card fast. Do I just have to look at the GPU clock speed and video memory capacity?

#13 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Well, thanks everyone for helping me with the graphics card. I am probably going with the GTX 1050 Ti.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

You mainly need to look for GPU spesifications.

For GPU, I recommend RX 460 over GTX 1050 Ti as AMD is optimized for new technologies and Nvidia for very old DirectX 11 and older.

#15 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

You mainly need to look for GPU spesifications.

For GPU, I recommend RX 460 over GTX 1050 Ti as AMD is optimized for new technologies and Nvidia for very old DirectX 11 and older.

Could you clarify this as I don't know alot about GPU's. I compared both of them and the GTX 1050 Ti was actually better in almost everything. And are you talking about the RX 460 4GB or the 2GB one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users