Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this older desktop pc worth $150.00?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gregs10101

gregs10101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

I am looking at an older pc that has the following specs. Let me know if this is worth the price. Also comes with a "20 monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. 

-OS = Ubuntu 16.04
-Acer G205HVbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
-AMD Phenom II X3 720 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz Socket AM3 95W HDZ720WFGIBOX Black Processor 
-XFX HD-487A-ZHDC Radeon HD 4870 1GB XXX 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
-ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
-Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
-140 GB Hard drive
-No optical (CD/DVD) drive

I am aware there is not a cd drive and that it has Ubuntu installed. The main reason for the purchase is to play some games on the internet.

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

You are not going to be playing that many games on a machine that runs Ubuntu. Games just aren't developed for that platform like they are Windows. SteamOS (debian linux) has arrived, but it will be a while before it takes a slice of the Windows cake.

As far as the hardware it is fairly old. If you want to play games on that machine, I would recommend purchasing Windows 7. Windows 7 will run you $50-$100. However, the specs are low for modern games, this computer would need some major upgrades to play modern games smoothly.

#3 gregs10101

gregs10101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Ok, thanks for the advice.  I was planning on putting 7 on the pc. The game that I am into now is Agar.io.  I have a really cheap laptop now that is very laggy and I have to set the graphics to the lowest for it to run smoothly.

I really just want this older pc to surf the internet and play that one game.  What do you think?  Does come with the 20 monitor and keyboard. Should I go ahead with the purchase?

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

FWIW:  I'd forget about dumping more money into that system...and take a look at some of the refurbished systems at Amazon and such.  The fact that these systems have been done by authorized refurbishers...makes them a better buy (IMO) than any aging system that users may be about to dump money into.  Win 7 already installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Agree with the above that system as-is, is too limited, and little room for a viable gaming upgrade. Better to invest some more money into something like an older refurb I5 2500,3570k, or build an fx 6300 system with a budget gpu. If I were in the hurts for a decent gaming system but I had little cash I would get an fx 6300, Asus or Gigabyte value matx, 760g mobo, 500w antec or evga PSU, small case, 8gb ddr3 1333 value, and something like a gtx 750-750ti (or rx 460).

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Agree with the above that system as-is, is too limited, and little room for a viable gaming upgrade. Better to invest some more money into something like an older refurb I5 2500,3570k, or build an fx 6300 system with a budget gpu. If I were in the hurts for a decent gaming system but I had little cash I would get an fx 6300, Asus or Gigabyte value matx, 760g mobo, 500w antec or evga PSU, small case, 8gb ddr3 1333 value, and something like a gtx 750-750ti (or rx 460).

Shore if you can do it for $150 total with tax, though buddy system is missing a feu things so let put that at $275 with tax.

FWIW:  I'd forget about dumping more money into that syste...and take a look at some of the refurbished systems at Amazon and such.  The fact that these systems have been done by authorized refurbishers...makes them a better buy (IMO) than any aging system that users may be about to dump money into.  Win 7 already installed.

Dout it unless you can link to a sorce that has better for $150 with tax or in this case seeing as buddy's system is missing a feu things $275 with tax.

As for the system OP is talking about for $150 ya that seems decent though i don't know why it only has a 140gig hdd, that's only good as a windows drive meaning you will have to get like a 1TB drive for it and that's more cash as well no dvd burner O_o what  the guy trying to do and i don't like the screen its a TN screen and the image quality on a TN lcd is trash.

And the heat sink is what ? my self if i got that system i would put abandonware winXP for free on it and it would fly as well id try and unlock the last core on the cpu " its a black box cpu" as well as get a aggressive heat sink and pound on the mgz.

#7 gregs10101

gregs10101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to pass on the pc.  Glad that I posted the question, I don't think I would have been happy had I gone through with the purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users