Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

Have a client's PC that went out of business, I'm cleaning it up to get ready for re-sale. It seems Windows 7 PRO has downloaded the windows 10 upgrade but never installed it. On the windows update page it says restart your PC to begin the upgrade process. When I do this nothing happens. I doubt I can still upgrade to 10 for free, and would be fine just getting this cleared for windows to update normally again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

The upgrade-for-free period is over.The downloaded install is maningless, at this point.

Even if the mechanism for such worked on your system...I suspect that all you would get would be an install of Win 10 that would not allow you to do anything beyond the initial screen.

I had downloaded/saved the free upgrade software before it expired...but had not installed Win 10 until after the free upgrade period ended.  The result was an install that required a valid key and activation.  In my situation, I had also already purchased a retail disk and key for Win 10...so I just used that key to activate Win 10 (as a test).  Once activated with valid key, smooth sailing.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#3 chalup

chalup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Right that's what I figured. My issue is on windows update page the only option is to click on the restart to begin upgrade process. If I click on check for updates it says this can't be done until a restart is done for prior updates. A restart doesn't initiate any updates though.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I suspect GRC's Never10 could cancel the upgrade and it also checks if the upgrade files have been downloaded in the background and if they have, offers to remove them:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Keep in mind that for many people, the normal Windows 7 automatic updating has become broken anyway, and I've found it best in those cases to turn the automatic update off and manually update each month after the security update rollup is released.

Edited by Platypus, 05 January 2017 - 11:56 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

...I doubt I can still upgrade to 10 for free, and would be fine just getting this cleared for windows to update normally again.

Search the PC for a file called GenuineTicket.xml if you find it then the machine is probably already registered on the Microsoft Servers and you can use this file to activate a fresh install of Windows 10.

Backup the file GenuineTicket.xml to some place then install Windows 10 and skip any key prompt, if it doesn't auto activate copy the file to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket and restart the machine, let it connect to the Internet to see if it gets activated.

Make sure you install Windows 10 Pro or it will not activate.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users