Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add features to BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bahman5580

Bahman5580

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

I need to set my laptop to wake up every morning at 5 o'clock. I have a Lenovo G510. The safest way to do that, I presume, is to set up wake up timers from power options in the BIOS. The problem is my BIOS does not have such an option, unlike a PC I previously had. Now the question is, is it possible to add this feature to BIOS? If yes how?

PS. I know about wake timer from sleep or hibernation, but they work randomly for me. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have set up a task with Task Scheduler to wake my laptop at that time, but sometimes my laptop restarts from sleep instead of waking up, and it happens often.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

Windows 7 has several Wake On Lan settings -- however I do not know Windows 10.  Have you already explored Windows 10's Wake On Lan settings [if such exist]?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Bahman5580

Bahman5580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I have not used that. How does it work? when a network is available? 

#4 Zenexer

Zenexer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

This seems to be a relatively accurate guide for WOL on Windows 10: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-wake-on-lan-windows-10/.  Wake On LAN requires that you have another device available to send the wake-up packet.  If you don't, and you're okay using sleep instead of a fully powered off state, you can use scheduled tasks.

#5 nikkoTX

nikkoTX

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

You said "PS. I know about wake timer from sleep or hibernation, but they work randomly for me. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have set up a task with Task Scheduler to wake my laptop at that time, but sometimes my laptop restarts from sleep instead of waking up, and it happens often.​"

Maybe you have to check the power options in Control Panel (use Advanced Settings) and make sure these options are set accordingly):

Allow Hybrid sleep : OFF

Hibernate after: NEVER

Allow wake timers: ENABLE

Make sure you use ENABLE option for Allow Wake timers, and not "Important Wake Timers only" since that may cause the restart

A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from sleep and hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the computer to run this task" check box checked.
Important wake timers are a new class of wake timer in Windows 10 that includes things like reboots after a Windows update that requires one. They supersede all other settings.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

...Wake On LAN requires that you have another device available to send the wake-up packet...

I never realized Wake On Lan needs another device, thanks for letting me know.  I always thought because the motherboard never really is off, the internal LAN adapter can wake itself i.e. go into action on its own.  Now I realize I was thinking of desktops, the thread starter is talking about a laptop -- a whole different situation, correct? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users