Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots during certain games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessorHindsight

ProfessorHindsight

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hello BC.com. I am at wits end, and have been directed here by a friend in an attempt to find a solution to a problem that I simply cannot find a solution to. When playing (or entering) certain games, my PC will just suddenly reboot without warning. No blue screen or nothing, just sudden reboot. Machine is a couple of years old, but is still able to run (most) new games on a high quality. I discovered another post (from 2014) in here that described somewhat the same problems, but there was no solution listed there. I've used the format of his post here as well. 

Details

While my PC works just fine in every day life, and can run most games, but for the last couple of months, whenever I try to play certain games my PC will just shut down and then boot up again without warning. For the majority of the games that provoke the reboot it holds true that I have played them before in the past without a glitch, yet now they suddenly cause a reboot. All of these games run via Steam.

Games

The problem occurs with the following games: 

Mordheim (just past intro screen PC crashes)

Witcher 3 + DLC (Geralt can walk around for aproximately a minute, then reboot)

Man O' War: Corsairs (played the game for about an hour, then reboot and now it always reboots)

Shadow Tactics (Loads level but the moment I enter the actual level, reboot)

The following games are examples of games that work just fine:

Battlefield 1

Civilization VI

Tiger Knight: Empire War

Total War: Warhammer

Computer Specs (from Speccy)

- Windows 10 Home 64bit

Intel Core i7 4771 @ 3.50GHz 37 °C

650watt PSU

Haswell 22nm Technology
- 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 679MHz (10-10-10-27)
- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-K (SOCKET 1150) 114 °C (this is likely a false positive and only started after I formatted the machine. Other measuring programs say around 42 °C and so did Speccy prior to format)
- VE248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
   8192MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (Sapphire/PCPartner) 39 °C
- 111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) 24 °C
   931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 25 °C
- ATAPI iHAS124 W
- Realtek High Definition Audio

Attempted Solutions (that failed)

- Replaced 700 watt Coolermaster PSU with a 650 one. (It's less watt, but newer and machine seemed to run smother afterward)

- Replaced my current GeForce 770 card with a new Radeon RX 480 Graphics (Sapphire)

- Removed 1 stick of ram at a time to see if one was faulty

- Cleaned out the dust from the fans

- Tried a refresh then a format but game still crashes when steam is downloaded and games are installed once more

Tests (that also failed)

- Ran memtest86 over night without any things popping up as 

- Ran FurMark stress test. PC made what I'd call a healthy curve that flattened out around 79-80 °C.

As previously stated, I am at wits end. Contemplating purchasing a new motherboard, but with a recent graphic card and PSU purchase, funds are low so it will have to wait. And if there's another solution, then I'd rather try that first.

Help me, Stranger-wan Kenobi. You are my only hope. 

Speccy txt (Pastebin) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zenexer

Zenexer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Try swapping out your PSU.  It's quite likely that it's on the way out.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that you already tried that.  Are you sure the 650W one didn't have any effect on the frequency?

Edited by Zenexer, 05 January 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#3 ProfessorHindsight

ProfessorHindsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Try swapping out your PSU.  It's quite likely that it's on the way out.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that you already tried that.  Are you sure the 650W one didn't have any effect on the frequency?

Not sure at all. I started by changing the graphics card and bought the Radeon because it has a low watt usage. When that didn't work, I changed the PSU to ensure that it wasn't cables or just an old (former PSU was 4 years old) PSU that was mucking up things. 

#4 Zenexer

Zenexer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

It looks like you've overclocked your CPU.  Have you tried restoring everything to stock settings?  If you haven't deliberately overclocked it, could your motherboard be overclocking it automatically through a "quick" performance setting?

#5 ProfessorHindsight

ProfessorHindsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

I've not done any clocking myself, so it would have to have been through some "quick" setting. Do you have an idea how can I check and possibly undo it?

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

K you seem to know what your doing and good first post, shows you know a feu things.

My self when i see this kind of thing i like to drop the system in to save mode on a hardware level as one of the tests i do, meaning turn everything off you can in the bios that's not needed or put it in slow mode as well lower the cpu speed and the ram speed by 50% as well as loosen memory timings, i might add a little more volts to the ram too just for fun.

And you didn't say what your psu was ? i mean the replacement.

What heat sink you using ?

Whats your cpu loaded temps after 15 min run ?

Ran FurMark stress test. PC made what I'd call a healthy curve that flattened out around 79-80 °C.

Still high imho but i don't know a good place to look up max GPU temps for your card, my self i dont like things over 60c but that's just me.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

I've not done any clocking myself, so it would have to have been through some "quick" setting. Do you have an idea how can I check and possibly undo it?

Yaaa bios settings.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-K/E8191_Z87-K.pdf

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Do all that stuff first, OP, such as undoing the overclocking.

When that is finished try this:

Download the latest Nvidia Drivers or AMD Drivers

Then, download this: Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers, unlike official uninstallers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

It seems redundant, since I see that you did a "refresh and format". But...this method solves a great deal of game problems, such as what you describe. A proper uninstall and reinstall is the first step, typically, towards solving video game issues on the PC.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

As well newer driver doesn't mean better, back in the 3Dfx voodoo video card days we use to have a different driver for every game played lol, i even have a GUI App with like 50 built in drivers on my win98se system that lets me quick swap core video card driver files before a game lunch for every game played to improve system stability and fps performance.

#10 ProfessorHindsight

ProfessorHindsight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Entering BIOS and changing the default (?) high performance setup to a standard/all-round version worked. I can now enter and play the games that previously caused a reboot. I am overcome with gratitude and hope karma does each and every man jack of you a good turn in the future.

This was not suggested in any of the places I googled, nor did my friends ever consider that an option. Thank you!

- Hindsight, Ph.D.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Hemmm classic case of overclocking = unstable system , glade you found a fix.

Ps i hate auto overclock anything settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users