Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Bridging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 groom03

groom03

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

We have two routers in our house, one is a netgear DG834G which we all use to share our broadband connection. The second is a linksys wrt54gc which i use for file, printer sharing and LAN gaming. on the linksys one i have no internet connection and would like to so i dont have to keep switching networks. If i plugged a wireless bridge into the WAN port on the linksys router would that pick up the wireless signal from the netgear router and give me the internet on my linksys router? and if i did use a bridge would i need two because my netgear router is already wireless and the bridge could pick up that signal

Please help this is all so confusing!

oh one more thing would the bridge, routers and all that need to be the same make?

Edited by groom03, 29 August 2006 - 11:01 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz skt 939
Msn K8N SLi-Fi
1.5Gb pc3200 400Mhz RAM
160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Drive
Inno3d 6800Gt 256mb GDDR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I am not completly sure but I will still give my advice.

First of all I would say you only need one wireless bridge since it should be able to communicate with the wireless router.

I don't think that all the parts have to be the same brand but they always work better when they are. I would suggest at least getting a netgear wireless bridge that will help getting the signal I would say.

The only thing I am not sure about is if you would have to run the ethernet cable to the WAN port or to a LAN port and configure some things... I would need someone else a little better in networking then me to clearify this.

#3 groom03

groom03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for your help anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Msn K8N SLi-Fi
1.5Gb pc3200 400Mhz RAM

#4 groom03

groom03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:12 AM

I've got a reply from the message i sent to buffalo (the manufacturer) and they say i would need to plug the bridge into the LAn port on teh router.

Msn K8N SLi-Fi
1.5Gb pc3200 400Mhz RAM

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

That what I thought and the router would have an AUTO MDI/MDI-X that makes it almost like a crossover cable and the wireless bridge is communicating with the router just like if the wire was connected to the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users