Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No PSU Power

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 desdichato

desdichato

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

Internet only computer:

This one I am building, It has a H-170 Gaming 3 Motherboard with an I7-6700k 8mb LGA 1151 processor, 8Gb of DDR4 2133Mhz 13-15-15-28 Ram it will have 4 small SSD's all powered by a Corsair RM750X PSU, in a Thermaltake X-9 cube case.

I am having an issue with the PSU, it's brand new (like everything listed above), with only two fans connected to the motherboard (SSD's, Graphic's card not yet connected) but when I turn it on nothing happens, I'm not getting a thing....This is the third build where the same thing has happened and I have bought another PSU and away it's gone, I don't believe Corsair (in this case) or the other power supply manufacturers would make a unit that blows a fuse that easily and before you ask YES the power is ON.

When I started to build the local power supply could be somewhat erratic and since then all builds have had power routed through the UPS battery back up - this is showing as it's fully charged but I am not sure if my power problem could be the probability that the batteries are holding insufficient power.

any thoughts

Thanks

P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Is the motherboard installed on the standoffs and each standoff has a screw that goes through the motherboard?

#3 desdichato

desdichato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Kilroy,

Yes the motherboard is on standoffs and is screwed onto them at  a height of about 3 or 4mm from the case.

Thanks

P

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

If you do much building, I suggest getting yourself a power supply tester. Some people don't want to spend the money, but it is a real help because you can check if your PS unit is good within seconds. It can save hours of head-scratching. Several times I have gotten new power supplies that were bad. When old units come in with problems, the first thing I do is test the voltages with the PS tester to make sure they are within tolerances.

https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-PST-03-connectors-voltages-warning/dp/B003F2VG8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483654252&sr=8-1&keywords=apevia+power+supply+tester#customerReviews

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 TheGreenGamers

TheGreenGamers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Is your power supply turned on?

Take a look at the back of the unit. Is there a red switch recessed in the power supply's case? If there is, you can try switching it to use a self-testing mode. 

I hope this helps, even though I don't know as much about power supplies as other components...

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

On the is it turned on note, is it set to the correct voltage?

#7 desdichato

desdichato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hey Guys, thanks for your responces.

There is power getting through, this laptop I'm currently using is connected to the same powerboard and there seems to be NO reset but (red or otherwise) on the mobo or the power supply, AFAIK the voltage is correct as all components were sourced and purchased from a local (Australian) suppliers.

Thanks for the info guys, a great learning process 

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:23 PM

AFAIK the voltage is correct as all components were sourced and purchased from a local (Australian) suppliers

That is called credulity. You trust someone because they are: 1:Australian, and 2: because they are in a position of authority and tell you something is true.

Recently I sent two (2) power supplies in a row back to Newegg because they tested bad; I never was challenged by the manufacturer. If you are going to walk through the jungle naked without a rifle, you are going to pay the consequences.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 desdichato

desdichato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Hi Ranchhand,

Don't get me wrong, I have done similar, my supplier is usually very good with me and will replace my components without question, their service is quite a fast service (usually the delay is the post office) and usually cheaper than any of the others companies I've tried. Next week I will be calling them and telling them what happened are return the unit too them - must admit that unit you suggested in a previous post looks like a go for me.

Thanks, greatly appeciated    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users