Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aspire one upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 desdichato

desdichato

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

Hey Guys,

First time here so please excuse any wrong postings.

Many moons ago in the early days of desktops I started building computers for myself after going to a local version of the so called “computer experts” and quickly realising that I may have well been speaking in hieroglyphs, I am no expert in this field (as the questions below will prove) and certainly the technology has changed considerably since those days so I have a couple of questions I would like answered if it's at all possible.

Aspire One notepad:- not built

I originally got this to use when I travelled, however it's a little aged now (about 5 or 6 years old) but it's still working and I would like to use it to learn some programming, due to it's age it only has 1Gb Ram and it cannot be increased to more than 2Gb, I would like to upgrade to 4Gb, is there anyway I can over-ride this restriction rather than use it as a paper weight?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

It's probably got the Atom processor that can only address 2GB of memory... no getting around that.

It will run a light Linux distro just fine though which would give you more than enough grunt for your programming needs.

#3 desdichato

desdichato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the tip but I was hoping to to learn kubuntu  - Maybe I need to change my mind

Greatly appreciated

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

Lubuntu should run well on it. KDE desktop isn't all that anyhow.

http://lubuntu.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users