Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lenovo yoga 2 11, installed ssd, cannot use recovery usb, Windows failed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lmm1

lmm1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hello Guys,

I bit off more than I can handle. My hard drive crashed in my Lenovo Yoga 2 11, but before it failed completely I managed to make a recovery usb, which appeared to work temporarily on the old hard drive reinstalling Windows 8.1, although I had previously upgraded to 10. I bought a Samsung EVO 850 250 gb SSD to replace it . Opened up the computer, removed the old hdd and attached the SSD straight from the box. Attached the Recovery USB and started computer, it gave me the option to recover drive and remove old files and reinstall Windows. I tried to do this 3 times and it usually fails at 25%. Configuration shows a Evo 850 as the hard drive.  I have no idea how to proceed. What can I try next?

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2017 - 09:24 AM.
Moved from System Building to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmm1

lmm1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

I found the solution. If anyone is interested. I downloaded 8.1 installation usb on the windows site and it found my windows key hidden in the bios. Once Windows was installed I had to install my wireless driver because it was missing. After that I was able to connect to internet and update the rest. Lesson learned. Recovery usb is worthless if you install a new ssd and your old hdd is toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users