Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP550 Desktop keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

I've been using this computer for less than a week. It is a refurbished computer. On the third day I had it up and running, it shut down and couldn't restart because it said it couldn't find a boot disk. I tried restarting and got the same message. After letting it sit for a minute or two, I started it up again and it booted up fine. But now it seems that every couple of hours, it restarts. This is beyond annoying.

I ran a memory desk and complete diagnostics and no problems were found. I do have quite a few programs that were transferred to the new computer using Laplink PC Mover (laplink.com). It won't move incompatible programs, though, so I doubt there is some issue with incompatible programs running. Before I transferred anything, I scanned for viruses on the old disk and all was well.

I have no idea at this point what to look for. I have no clue what the problem is. It's a new computer and all the hardware is fine. No incompatible programs.

Stats on Computer:
HP 550-a209

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.576)

7866 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

2.20 gigahertz AMD A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)

Board: HP 2B4F 1.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
UEFI: AMI A0.06 08/04/2015

There are some Windows updates that need to be installed. Could that be part of the problem?

Also, I see that there are a couple workstations on the computer that I don't understand.
192.168.1.2 Windows XP Workstation your-4105e587b6 (in WORKGROUP)

192.168.1.10 Windows 10 Workstation Rose_home (in WORKGROUP)

I don't have Windows XP and my name isn't Rose. Is this normal? Or could these be leftovers from some previous owner? That would be weird if the computer is refurbished, though, no?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I work from home and need the computer to do, so this constant restarting is not good.

Edit: The exact message I get is "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Critical process died."
I looked this up and saw that it could be due to:
1. a virus (checked and found no viruses)
2. drivers that need updating (checked in device manager and found none needing an update)

3. Some problem that could be found using sf scannow (no issues found)

4. Bad disk (this was checked already - no problems)

5. A Windows 10 update that screwed stuff up.

I'm thinking #5 might be the problem at this point since when I first got the computer and started it up, the first thing it did was install Windows 10 updates. There are, as I said, others that are supposed to be installed, but I'm wondering if I should install those now or first delete the previous one(s). I read somewhere that it's good to delete the problem update first. The problem is that I really don't know if that's the issue as I've had the computer for just a few days.

Edit 2: Grrrrrrr. Computer shut down and restarting AGAIN. This time I got the message "Unexpected store exception."  Can someone PLEASE help?

Edited by Kaityf, 05 January 2017 - 01:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

I think I may have solved this myself. The problems I was having seem to be related to some missing .dll file with Office 365. It was installed on the computer when I got it or MS decided to install it after I turned on the computer and MS automatically installed updates to Windows 10. I uninstalled Office 365 and then reinstalled the trial - after having to give them my credit card number so they can charge me $99 if I forget to cancel. In any case, the computer has not restarted again yet. Not after being on for hours last night and hours today.

I also checked the connections inside the computer. Everything seemed quite snug, but I gave them all extra little pushes anyway.

My guess is that it was the missing AppVlsvSubsystems32.dll. I have read that this can cause instability problems. I just hope the problem is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users