Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What brand of AM3+ motherboard is the most reliable, best built, for the money?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 broken-pc

broken-pc

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

I am just wondering if there is a better choice then Asus, as I am having no luck with their mobos. I have owned two, and I think my second is on it's way out.  My first socket 775 Mobo (I am now unsure of the model, but it was the fancy one with all the copper heat pipes, and heat sinks) stopped posting after it was only two months old, I never figured out what the problem was with that one, I just went back to my old trusty Intel mobo. Now this one, I think the top pci express slot is shorting out, or something, but that's for another thread. 

I will probably never buy Asus anything again, so what do you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

Well...I don't think that there is a "best" motherboard manufacturer.

If you review a number of posts here at BC from members with problems...you will see all types of boards on systems with problems...but few systems where the MB is defined/identified as THE PROBLEM.

That being the case...selecting a motherboard drops down to the omnipresent "personal preference" that determines what we buy, what we like, who we love, and so on.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

I hear you, bro.  The truth is as follows: years ago, a mainboard used to outlast every other component of a computer. I currently have a computer from the 1990's running Windows 98 that is still going strong. However, In today's situation, if you get 4 years out of a mainboard you are doing well. The present computer I am using (home build) is running its 3rd Asus mainboard. They just are not going to last. I have seen posters come to harsh language with each other on forums arguing which mobo is superior to another. Asus and a couple of others are the best you can buy, and they simply are not going to stay the course. That is the fact of life, and, unfortunately, it applies to may other manufactured items also in today's economy.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

I hear you, bro.  The truth is as follows: years ago, a mainboard used to outlast every other component of a computer. I currently have a computer from the 1990's running Windows 98 that is still going strong. However, In today's situation, if you get 4 years out of a mainboard you are doing well. The present computer I am using (home build) is running its 3rd Asus mainboard. They just are not going to last. I have seen posters come to harsh language with each other on forums arguing which mobo is superior to another. Asus and a couple of others are the best you can buy, and they simply are not going to stay the course. That is the fact of life, and, unfortunately, it applies to may other manufactured items also in today's economy.

The sad part, is that the only two Asus mobo's I have had, were junk....total junk...and I read all the time how great Asus is... I haven't gotten 6 months out of one yet! My current one was bought 3 years ago, but only has been used for a total of two months, I just acquired it a month ago. I am pretty sure my main pci express slot is shorting out.  Yet, my Intel 775 mobo is still going,  the hard drive died in that system, but i'm seriously thinking about fixing that instead.....I think the Q6600 has ten more years in it, or so.

Edited by broken-pc, 04 January 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#5 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

I think I'm gonna just go with Gigabyte, as they seem to have superior customer service, as opposed to Asus. It is too bad that the board I am looking at doesn't have overclocking support for my processor, but that's something I can deal with, as opposed to getting another defect from Asus, and having to deal with their lack of customer care.  

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Got a EP43-UD3L gigabite board my self for 775 cpus for my main system, don't know why but all the USB died on it.

And ya i know what you all mean about they don't make em like they use to.

No overclocking support :(

Sucks most 775 cpus Oc like mad, what board we talking about ?

#7 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Got a EP43-UD3L gigabite board my self for 775 cpus for my main system, don't know why but all the USB died on it.

And ya i know what you all mean about they don't make em like they use to.

No overclocking support :(

Sucks most 775 cpus Oc like mad, what board we talking about ?

You misunderstood me, I have an old 775 mobo that still works....but I was talking about the Gigabyte mobo for my Phenom II x4 965 that didn't have OC support for my chip. The way I understand it, The mobo will overclock with FX chips, but not the Phenom, unless there is something I'm missing.

This is the board. 

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra (rev. 1.0) 

Edited by broken-pc, 05 January 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

Ah i see, your forum topic title is saying one thing and your first post is on going on about a different topic, that's why i got confused.

As for what lasts and what doesn't, if all you care about is reliability and system stability maybe you should get server parts.

Parts for home use ya they just don't make em like they use to, for servers if you have parts that "A" cost piles and "B" brake all over the place every 2~5 years no one would sine up for that topic and by the 3 year mark in a big data farm you have problems all over the place from parts dieing.

And any cpu will overclock last i checked as long as you can push on the vcore and fsb as well as keep the heat levels down.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Unfortunately, it's as other posters have stated.

In today's economy, and since profit is the lifeblood of commerce (without profit, there's no point in staying in business, 'cos it's not going to pay for itself!), and with more and more companies starting up, well.....

More companies means more competition. Okay, that's good for the consumer; but each company wants you to use its product. At one time, this would have meant building a superior product; but nowadays (In the interests of keeping outlay as low as possible) they will design a product that's just good enough to attract folks to it (and make them want to come back for more).....and design it to fail after a limited period of time, so that you buy new again.

It's called 'planned obsolescence'.....the process of making sure your customers keep on buying again & again, on a very regular basis.

Ranchhand is right. Both my machines are well over 12 years old; one is a 13-yr old Compaq Presario desktop, built just before HP took them over. The graphics chip still gives a pin-sharp picture, and there isn't a single capacitor on the board that's bulging or crooked, and every one is still tight to the board. Compaq used to supply the business community, who didn't want fancy stuff; the one thing they were interested in was long-term, rock-solid reliability. And Compaq delivered.

My other is an even older Dell Inspiron laptop; an original 1100, from 2002/3. That thing's built like a tank; it's been dropped, had I don't know how many drinks spilt on it, my various nieces/nephews have all pounded hell out of it when they were little.....it just keeps chugging along. I'm very impressed with Dell..!

But both of these were built at a time when firms were still more interested in attracting new customers than they were in simply milking existing ones for all they could. And the market hadn't grown quite so blasé & jaded as it is now.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 January 2017 - 05:15 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Ya agreed, computers use to cost piles too once, the first apple II computers back in 1980 were like $8000 now i can get a basic box for like $300 and $8000 in 1980 is like $16000 in 2017.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

I had a bunch of old intergraph cards where all the traces were gold. They don't do that anymore. Fortunately I have never had a motherboard go out even on the OEMs I have had. I think a lot of the problems is caused by the elimination of lead in the motherboards but I could be wrong.

#12 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

I had a bunch of old intergraph cards where all the traces were gold. They don't do that anymore. Fortunately I have never had a motherboard go out even on the OEMs I have had. I think a lot of the problems is caused by the elimination of lead in the motherboards but I could be wrong.

I agree with you all that in this economy, it is near impossible to find anything that is built with the same quality, as stuff had in the past. And the corporations are more interested in milking the consumer, then building a quality product....but, I also think a big part of the problem with today's motherboards, and other electronics, is that all, or most of the needed components like transistors, capacitors...etc are cheap, Chinese made crap now a days. Lets face it, if all the components were built in Japan, Germany, USA....etc, they would last longer, because they would be manufactured with actual QC in mind. I am not saying some of these components don't come from the other countries mentioned, but the majority come from China.

QC in China, is not even in the same ballpark as QC in Japan, or the other countries mentioned....no one can argue that fact.

A lack of QC combined with cheaper materials, and corporate greed equals, prematurely failed electronics.

I was just hoping that there was a brand that was known for having good components, good QC, and good customer service.

Edited by broken-pc, 06 January 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Don't forget Intel, i had one from 2005, it it was still chugging along until i volunteered it for netburst death a few months ago.

but for the am3/+ i was most impressed with gigabyte.

ASUS is hit or miss, there were a few good lots, a few bad ones, and a lot of homework in between to discern the good, the bad and the ugly. 

in summary, gigabyte and Intel is what i have seen as tried and true.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#14 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

Don't forget Intel, i had one from 2005, it it was still chugging along until i volunteered it for netburst death a few months ago.

but for the am3/+ i was most impressed with gigabyte.

ASUS is hit or miss, there were a few good lots, a few bad ones, and a lot of homework in between to discern the good, the bad and the ugly. 

in summary, gigabyte and Intel is what i have seen as tried and true.

I still have two Q6600 chips, and one old intel 775 mobo that all work, I just need to get a Hard drive for that system, and I have an extra cpu for it.... but I wanted something faster.

I am going to order a Gigabyte Mobo, I've made my decision.  The board Im getting has all Japanese solid capacitors, hopefully the rest of the components are as high quality. I hear what your saying about Asus being hit or miss, as my experience has been all miss. What also sold me on Gibabyte, was all the good reviews when it came to customer service. Asus has terrible customer service reviews. 

Edited by broken-pc, 06 January 2017 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users